♫ εηdεd ♫ Etsy, a couple of questions.

wombat

Reaction score
First name
walter
I'd never heard of 'Etsy' until I joined this forum. I took a look and it doesn't seem to bad. I was just wondering how you guys find it compared to Ebay and what not and is it working for you??
thanks

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
I have experimented with Etsy with pretty limited success. The fees are super low, and there is little reason to not give it a try. If you take the plunge, I would suggest working on increasing your exposure by adding other Etsy folks to your circles and adding favorite items that you find from other woodworking artists.

Your biggest sales will come from posting your items for sale on forums like WB and steering them to your Etsy store for CC purchases. Just IMHO.

Cheers,
BG

BarbS

Reaction score
First name
Barb
If you have no other website and want a cheap way to expose your goods, it works if you do a lot of inter-locking reference to the site. A Facebook business page can interlock with Etsy and show off new product that way in two venues. My sales have been slow overall, but I feel like I'm becoming better known there, after lots of interplay. I've never used Ebay, myself.
If you're interested, here's a list of Treasuries of Etsy woodworkers, where you can see what people are listing there and how much they are charging for products: http://www.etsy.com/people/BarbSWoodworks/treasury?ref=pr_treasury_more

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I've been using it for a couple of years and have never sold anything, but the fees are so low that if I were to sell one bowl from it every couple of years it would pay for itself, so I just leave'm up.

healeydays

Reaction score
First name
Mike
My wife has a store on Etsy and does very well. She also sells alot on Ebay. To get the folks to what she sells, she does alot of social media stuff like blogs, twitter, facebook, Pinterest, etc. When someone buys from her, she asks them to post something for her too.

The way we explain social media to folks is you can setup the best site with great deals on it, but if they don't know it's there, it would be a miracle they find you, so you need to talk it up everywhere.

Mike B
present day job is designing websites for Delta Dental dealing with Obamacare issues.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I'm in a co-op of sorts on Etsy, but I've never sold anything. A couple of the other guys that I share the site with have sold a few items. As Paul mentioned, the fees are so small that one sale would pay for a whole lot of listings.

wombat

Reaction score
First name
walter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies. the fees were what I noticed first and thought maybe I had misread something. It sounds like it's one of those "Hey why not!" situations.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
First name
Dennis
I have an Etsy page and have 6 or 8 pens listed there. I havnt sold a single item there but I dont blame the site. I blame my ignorance in how to direct people there.

Molokai

Knife Maker
Reaction score
First name
Tomislav
If you sell something on etsy, do you need to pay taxes? or it depends from country to country

Joe Williams

Reaction score
First name
Joe
Just a hint, if you make something wonderful and you want to see it explode figure out a way to get it on reddit. There are a number of woodworking subscriptions there and it's massive. I see a lot of people post items that they sell on etsy there and garner a lot of support. Personally I am not into it (maybe someday) and that is the first thing I would do.