♫ εηdεd ♫ HF blank for urn (Figured and/or Ambrosia Maple)

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Our dog sitter just recently lost one of her beloved dogs and has asked me to make an urn for the cremated remains. I am looking for a HF blank around 5" sq (up to 6") x 8" to use for the main vessel. I am at a bit of a loss on species (she is all over the map on taste), but I'm leaning toward either a really nice figured maple (possibly ambrosia). I plan on leaving the walls rather thick, and I would like to be able to finish turning in one step (not roughing, drying, finishing over several months). Does anyone have something to fit the bill?

@Josh Hobdey @davduckman2010 @sprucegum @Kevin @Mike1950

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Our dog sitter just recently lost one of her beloved dogs and has asked me to make an urn for the cremated remains. I am looking for a HF blank around 5" sq (up to 6") x 8" to use for the main vessel. I am at a bit of a loss on species (she is all over the map on taste), but I'm leaning toward either a really nice figured maple (possibly ambrosia). I plan on leaving the walls rather thick, and I would like to be able to finish turning in one step (not roughing, drying, finishing over several months). Does anyone have something to fit the bill?

@Josh Hobdey @davduckman2010 @sprucegum @Kevin @Mike1950

I'm not sure I have anything dry that size in any species right now certainly not FBE with good color. I might have something else. I'll look tomorrow.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Probably have walnut- big leaf- pretty dry- maybe a chunk of swirly curly redwood I could cut- maybe others

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably have walnut- big leaf- pretty dry- maybe a chunk of swirly curly redwood I could cut- maybe others
I would love to see the big leaf maple. Does it have any figure?

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Can't wait to see what you've got! I might be interested in multiple pieces depending on figure/price.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Anyone have any really nice Ambrosia maple blocks tucked away in the corner of the shop?

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Andrew, have you checked with Duck?

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
I tagged him, but hadn't heard from him yet. I know he has been on the road a lot lately.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Oh, the tag just magically appeared on my screen after you sent that! :sorry:

Josh Hobdey

Reaction score
I have some maple blocks with tight fiddleback, and some with nice burl, but the stuff is dripping water wet. :0(

Josh Hobdey

Reaction score
Actually, I think I might have some curly CottonWood that is super dry stashed away. Let me take a second pass on what I have lying around. LOL

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
all are big chunks- need to be cut- first dry- 5+ thick. second is probably 14% inside- the other ones have been- normal for rain forest. last 2 big blocks- nice burl- have to cut into to know % I have had them a year and have no clue how long they had been cut before but it had been a while.

DSCN1430 (800x600).jpg

DSCN1431 (800x600).jpg
DSCN1432 (800x600).jpg

DSCN1433 (800x600).jpg

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
all are big chunks- need to be cut- first dry- 5+ thick. second is probably 14% inside- the other ones have been- normal for rain forest. last 2 big blocks- nice burl- have to cut into to know % I have had them a year and have no clue how long they had been cut before but it had been a while.

NICE stuff there Mike! Any figure in that first piece, or just a nice chunk of maple?

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Or should I turn thinner than that? I would like to leave a good amount of weight.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Mike, can I get two blanks from the first slab in a MFRB?