• Woodbarter Hats Are Available!!! Scroll down on the main page to the Member Activities & Site Support, Then click on Wood Barter SCHWAG and go to the topic Woodbarter Hats 2022 to order your hat. There's only a limited quanity, so don't wait to get yours.

♫ εηdεd ♫ Need a Handle

HVGameCalls

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Not sure if this is the right place to put this.If not admins please move.

I have a Hen and Rooster drop point that I got from a fellow who started to 're-handle it but didn't get very far. I have fooled around with doing scales on a few fixed blades but never a hidden tang.I'm afraid I would do more harm than good to such a nice blade.So I'm looking for someone to do the job for me.I haven't quite made my mind up yet on handle materials. I'm thinking either maple Burl with ebony spacers or a stacked leather handle.Anyways here is the blade.

IMAG0165.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I moved this here....
Maybe go through the guys names who post in the knife section and tag them here. See if they'd like a go at it...

robert flynt

Reaction score
First name
Robert
Hey Scott, This might be a good project for you. Right now I am pretty busy trying to get some orders finished. That round tang will not be a good candidate for stacked stacked leather because any twisting motion could cause them to come loose and seperate. It would be better to use something solid such as wood, etc.

Last edited:

Molokai

Knife Maker
Reaction score
First name
Tomislav
It's not a problem to make but cost of two way shipping is too high.

Foot Patrol

ABS Apprentice BladeSmith
Reaction score
First name
Scott
I am having shoulder surgery today and will be out for the next 6 weeks. Sorry I can't help.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Well....I know Scott is out out of town for a week, so it'll be a lil while before he gets a notification...

But...I have 6 knife handles to make at the moment. If you're not in a hurry, I could fit ya in, in about a month.

HVGameCalls

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Well....I know Scott is out out of town for a week, so it'll be a lil while before he gets a notification...

But...I have 6 knife handles to make at the moment. If you're not in a hurry, I could fit ya in, in about a month.
Not in no hurry.I've had the blade for a couple of years now.I'll get it out and look at thinking maybe I could do the handle but then decide it's beyond my skill level as far as knives go.I can do scales but never attempted a hidden tang.If your interested in doing it just let me know when you get time.There is no rush.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Sounds good. I'll save the email notification for this topic so I won't forget.
Do you have the maple burl you wanna use? It would be preferable if it was stabilized.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Also...look at various handles on the web and see what shape gets your eye. Save a pic of it and post it here.

HVGameCalls

Reaction score
First name
Jon
No I don't have the maple Burl yet but have been looking.I do have the ebony though.

I'll look at different handle styles and let you know what I like.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I have plenty of ebony....so no worries on that.

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Right I'm overextended. Too many projects going to take on anymore. Maybe n a month or so. Is that a threaded tang?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Do you have a pomel the guy was going to use? Or is that going to be needed to purchase? Or do you not one? I only ask cuz it's threaded...

HVGameCalls

Reaction score
First name
Jon
I don't have the pommel.I would like to have a pommel on it though.I'm guessing the origanl handle on the blade was probably staged and had a stainless pommel.If I need to purchase one I can.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Yes...find out what the thread is. Most likely it's 1/4-20...then you can get the pomel to thread on it that matches the front guard...