♫ εηdεd ♫ Oddball scraps for burl scales

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
*closed*

I had to rummage around in my scrap bin the other day to find packing peanuts, and I found quite a pile of pieces I'll never use. Every one of these is fundamentally flawed in some way - often cracks/splits, small sizes not useful, maybe caught the pith or cut twisted. But there is plenty of meat on the bones. Maybe jewelry, small boxes, or just plain experimentation with unusual wood?

So...anyone want a mfrb that is a grab bag of off the beaten path material? Includes:

Desert ironwood (splits)
Mastodon tooth (useless end chunk)
Pink ivory (chewed up thin)
Leadwood (pith / bark / cracking)
Sumac (thin)
Hornbeam (offcut ends / knots)
Stabilized rhododendron (ugly)
European boxwood (small / inclusions)
Old Ironsides live oak (splits, smells)
Manzanita burl (small / splits)
Lignum (tiny odd shapes)
African blackwood (small, sapwood)
Brazilian rosewood (sapwood, thin)
Spalted maple (bad size)
Dogwood (odd bits, inclusion)
Snakewood (small offcuts / splits)
Mystery wood (it's a mystery)

I would like to trade for two good quality knife blocks / scales that seem interesting. Burl / hard to find material / ??

Any interest?

Last edited:

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
...and closing this one out. A guy in real life just bought the leadwood and ironwood. Funny how things go. If you have interest in the other scraps, let me know - they are going back in the bin!

Last edited:

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Is this the Mastodon tooth?

Tooth.jpg

If so then any idea what you're wanting to trade for it? Just wondering since one of my sons likes to collect odd things, and a Mastodon tooth is pretty odd.

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Sure is. The upper surface of the teeth is crazy looking - usually some version of mineral staining mixed with dentin / enamel pattern - but this is a chunk of the root that was left over.

PM me your address, and I'll send. Send me back something interesting...or don't worry about it if nothing seems right. For a few bucks postage, glad to help you score a few parenting points.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
When Karl gets the tooth, then I can close it. Assuming he wants it....

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
No word yet. If there is interest, I can probably find other material.

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
OK. Seems the tooth piece is of interest, so back to the scrap bin. This is a pic of four waste scraps, including the one that was pictured above. Let's give Karl until Monday - if no response, Will send to you, greenmtguy. Same deal on these as originally - I will just send to you, and send something back if you want.

However, I also have a stabilized, dyed scrap. I will post that separately for trade. Greenmtguy, if you want that, you have first dibs. This I would like to actually trade.

Here are the scrap pics:

IMAG1379.jpg

IMAG1380.jpg

IMAG1381.jpg

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
@bhatleberg Sorry, I found some scales to trade, but didn't have enough time to get any pics posted this weekend due to Christmas parties and Church activities. I'll try to get some photos posted this evening when I get home from work, and then let you decide what makes a fair trade.

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
no worries. Pm me your address and I will send. Send back anything you like when received.

These are too cool to throw out (doesn't it feel just rude to throw out 10,000 year old tooth material? Questions I never thought I'd ask...), but no use to me and I think low value. So glad to send.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Trade with @bhatleberg

See if any of this will make a good trade. Should fit in SFRB with room for extras.

First up: Qtr sawn cherry block should be good to slice into scales 8.5"L x 3.75"W X 1.5"Thick
Cherry_Block1.jpg

Cherry_Block3.jpg

Cherry_Block2.jpg

Next up: Walnut Crotch Feather Scale1 - 7.74"L x 3"W x 3/8"Thick - Needs light belt sanding to flatten.
KnifeScales1.jpg

Next up: Walnut Crotch Feather Scales2 -8L " x 3.25"W x 3/8"Thick. Needs light belt sanding to flatten.
KnifeScales2.jpg

Next up: Walnut Block - 5.5"L x 3.5"W x 1"Thick - with nice chatoyance in feather.

Walnut_Crotch_Block.jpg

Crepe Myrtle 2" x 2" by 11" Sample - I'll keep eye out for wider pieces, but doubt I'll find any 1' wide though.
CrepeMyrtle_Sml.jpg CrepeMyrtle2_Sml.jpg

CrepeMyrtle3_Sml.jpg

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Brian, your SFRB package should arrive this Friday. I added a few items to fill up the box including a second crepe myrtle limb with the thin bark layer attached. Look over those crepe myrtle pieces and let me know if you want me to keep an eye out for bigger pieces.

-Karl

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Thanks - shipped yours as well.

I can already tell you yes on the crape myrtle...