♪♫ εηdεd ♫♪ Rare Australian Sheoak for Sale

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's see: I guess this thread is proof that y'all survived the following just so you would be on WB?

Taipan
Brown Snakes
Salt Crocs
Box Jelly
Blue ring Octopus (visions of the 007 movie with the title that drove teen-aged boys crazy - personal experience - but I was 27!)
Tiger Snakes
Stonefish
Giant Centipedes
Funnel Web Spiders
Sea Snakes
And who knows what else that lurks there!

H. E. Double hockey sticks - me thinks that list out does the Texas Beasties - but not sure!

I've never lived there, partly because I've come to the realization that with my luck - I'd probably die from an infected koala bite or a platypus kiss - or both!

If there were a piece "C" - I'd take it! Just to graphically proclaim my unabashedly cocky nerves of steel over them hammy dangers of OZ. Don't never mind that I'm sheltered here at my desk in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation - makes no difference, Just picture it - Old Mikey surmounting an epic pile of dried cow patties, confidently posing atop the mass of dung, shirt tore open, beating his massively muscled manscaped chest holding a rattlesnake in one hand and an alligator gar in the other. He's wearing a coral snake hatband and a copperhead belt holding up what is left of his shredded pants (the result of 'rastling the rattlesnake from the mesquite thicket) while bellowing at the top of his lungs something about OZ and wimps and Texans is tuffest! (notice no water mocs - Old Mikey don't like mocs)

Wait! did I take my Kava Kava this morning? I don't remember!
You have the creative and descriptive style of writing as John Steinbeck. Save this for your novel's opening chapter.

I'll find Piece C just for you, my friend.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
The most dangerous things I found in Australia were learning to drive on the wrong side of the road and trying to keep up with me mates in the pub.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
So after all that Australian nature lesson if B is still available I will take it. Jim And Mike you forgot to add Javelina, 6 foot prickly pear, mild 101 degree mid mornings and ..... Jim
Heck! Javelina are tasty! Don't think I'd eat a box jelly!

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
You have the creative and descriptive style of writing as John Steinbeck. Save this for your novel's opening chapter.

I'll find Piece C just for you, my friend.
That is so nice to say - I'm speechless. Maybe it is because I read so much of Steinbeck. I think I have all of his books and have read half I guess. Oh and O'Henry! Now he was a wordsmith too, but sometimes I have to scratch my head because he is writing from a NYC POV.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I really liked Tazzy. You're right, the forests are mesmerizing, huge trees, great fishing, lots of platypus, J. Boags beer my favorite.

Larry - I'll take piece 'B' thanks.
Doug, did you get my PM from this morning? When I tried to start a conversation by clicking on your avatar as I normally do, it said that access was blocked. Then I tried to just include your name in a conversation but am not sure that worked.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Weird. I didn't block you or anyone. Not sure you can even do that, can you? I replied. I'll take the board thanks.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Well, I just tried it again and it worked as normal. Maybe I'm going crazy but my wife says I'm okay. Maybe she's also crazy. Anyway, thanks a bunch.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
That is so nice to say - I'm speechless. Maybe it is because I read so much of Steinbeck. I think I have all of his books and have read half I guess. Oh and O'Henry! Now he was a wordsmith too, but sometimes I have to scratch my head because he is writing from a NYC POV.
Like you, I have many Steinbeck novels and read them many years ago. Now am starting thru them again. His ability to describe a scene is unmatched, IMO.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I do have some more pieces but I need to clean them up and trim off some end checks. I'll start a new thread for the next batch.
So the order of request I see is:

Post 36 @Mike Hill
Post 38 @JR Parks
Post 51 @Bill12035

I'll create the new thread later today.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I got those when we lived in Brisbane for three and half years. The turner I got them from told me he goes walkabout after bush fires to find his sheoak. He said the heat from the fire solidifies the pitch pockets and turns them a nice reddish, mahogany brown against the tan oak (like the one on the left side). I don't think it has to go through a fire, just makes the wood a little more distinctive.
Doug, it just so happens that one of the pieces I have shows it was in a brush fire. I'll clean up the sides to see how the color looks versus the others.

IMG_4997.jpeg

Steelart99

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Larry, my Sheoak got here today. I really do love the figure in this wood.
Thanks

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Larry - My sheoak got here today. It's going to be fun deciding what to do with this. So many options. Thanks.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
No problem. Not like I'm gonna make something tomorrow with it. My wife had a purchase she was tracking. Got stuck somewhere for a while - she called and raised heck. Then a couple of days later it was showing going to Denver to be transferred to Seattle. She got the package that afternoon. You never know, even when you think you know!