♫ εηdεd ♫ Spring 2012 BOTTLE STOPPER BOX PASS

Vern Tator

Reaction score
First name
Vern
:timeout: Wait a minute, I signed on to this cuz I could trade wood, but didn't have to actually turn it. With this request I will have to learn to turn bottle stoppers :help: I guess I can put that right after mama's list, build a new fence, replace and enlarge that back porch, and help with the landscaping. And that is her April list. I poured concrete today, so now I have a couple of days grace there, but I discovered yesterday the some of the bowls that I show at the Sunday Market in Fremont got wet in the truck last week. I wrap them in old tee shirts to travel, so they sat for a couple of days in damp to wet tee shirts. :dash2: I was the real looser in that wet tee shirt contest. Sooooo I get to sand and refinish 5 bowls this week. You will note that I said show in the market. Yesterday I made a whopping $25, and it cost me $45 to enter. I really is a privilege to be self employed some times. However off the top of my head, I could name 50 thing that would be far worse than watching the crowd at the market. So when I finish with all of the above I need to turn my 12 mills for the week and then I can learn bottle stoppers, if I can remember that long. :fool3:

Vern Tator

Reaction score
First name
Vern
:yipee: Turning bottle stoppers is kind of fun, and pretty easy as long as I don't follow the directions. The directions for the chuck to hold the block were to drill a 23/64 hole and thread it on. Well in Kingwood that is accurate, but in maple burl or chestnut burl, it is way way tooo big. I decided to raid my burl supply of "pieces too small to save" and practiced on that. Saving to good stuff that I got in the pass. With the recommended hole size, and I drilled 8 blanks, the wood just spun on the mandrel. Stuffed shavings in the over sized hole and with the aid of the tailstock I managed to turn some. First we have bigleaf maple burl times 3.

[attachment=5185]

Then we have Chestnut burl, bigleaf maple burl and dyed bigleaf maple burl.

[attachment=5186]

I have seen some really cool work done by dying burl, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. It is usually too dark for my taste. And finally we have 2 from the box pass. They are Buckeye and Kingwood.

[attachment=5187]

I really liked turning the Kingwood. It's hard and holds detail really well. Hardly had to sand after turning with a skew. Smells like it may be a member of the rosewood family (dalbergia?) In fact next time I will wear my respirator, it seemed like any minute it was going to be a problem, but it wasn't.

DSCN0695.JPG

DSCN0696.JPG

DSCN0697.JPG

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
Vern Tator said:
:yipee: Turning bottle stoppers is kind of fun, and pretty easy as long as I don't follow the directions. The directions for the chuck to hold the block were to drill a 23/64 hole and thread it on. Well in Kingwood that is accurate, but in maple burl or chestnut burl, it is way way tooo big. I decided to raid my burl supply of "pieces too small to save" and practiced on that. Saving to good stuff that I got in the pass. With the recommended hole size, and I drilled 8 blanks, the wood just spun on the mandrel. Stuffed shavings in the over sized hole and with the aid of the tailstock I managed to turn some.
First we have bigleaf maple burl times 3.
Then we have Chestnut burl, bigleaf maple burl and dyed bigleaf maple burl. I have seen some really cool work done by dying burl, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. It is usually too dark for my taste. And finally we have 2 from the box pass. They are Buckeye and Kingwood. I really liked turning the Kingwood. It's hard and holds detail really well. Hardly had to sand after turning with a skew. Smells like it may be a member of the rosewood family (dalbergia?) In fact next time I will wear my respirator, it seemed like any minute it was going to be a problem, but it wasn't.
Yep, it is a rosewood. Nice bottle stopper.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
That's pretty stuff Vern. :good2:

I re-arranged your text and image code inserts to how I think you wanted them. Let me know if it is not how you intended.

bearmanric

Reaction score
First name
Rick
Got the wood yesterday . heading to Dave Keller tomorrow in Oklahoma. Rick

http://img.Rule #2/albums/v68/bearmanric/calls2004-7.jpg

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
David, let me know if you need my address again. If you're like me it's hard to keep track.

:scratch_one-s_head:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Kevin said:
David, let me know if you need my address again. If you're like me it's hard to keep track.

I've got it, Kevin! It's on the wall in the men's room at the local wood mart... It says, "For flaming box elder, call...":lolol:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
DKMD said:
Kevin said:

I've got it, Kevin! It's on the wall in the men's room at the local wood mart... It says, "For flaming box elder, call...":lolol:

:noway:

:ireful:

Now I'm pissed.

:fit:

Tell me you're joking!!

:censored2:

:rant2:

:banghead:

I have a 55 gallon drum of whupass and I'm fixing to come pour it all over you.

:boxing5:

:karate:

WALMART CUSTOMERS CAN'T AFFORD MY WOOD YOU DUMMIE! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!!!

:smack:

YOU SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN IT IN A DILLARDS STALL!!!!

:rotflmao3:

:teethlaugh:

:blbl:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Wal-mart?:signhuh: You couldn't drag me into a Wal-mart! :noway:

I typed WOOD mart… Very high end clientele there!:drinks:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
DKMD said:
Wal-mart?:signhuh: You couldn't drag me into a Wal-mart! :noway:

I typed WOOD mart… Very high end clientele there!:drinks:

Oh. :embaressedsmile:

okay in that case then . .

:thanx:

txpaulie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Break it up, you two!:hi:

I thought I'd share my pickin's from the box pass...

Pa-duke, oak burl, and per-simmon...

p
http://i762.Rule #2/albums/xx265/TXPaulie/pics272.jpg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nicely done! I had my eye on that oak burl...:cray:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
The box landed here yesterday or day before, but I've been hammered at work! Lovely stuff… I'm thinking of taking the whole stash and making a run for Mexico!:evillaugh: Of course, I'd have to drive by Kevin's house, so I'll probably just mail them to him.

[attachment=5389][attachment=5390]

The package will go back in the mail today or tomorrow at the latest! Fun!:yipee::yipee:

stopper-pass-1.jpg

stopper-pass-2.jpg

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
DKMD said:
The box landed here yesterday or day before, but I've been hammered at work! Lovely stuff… I'm thinking of taking the whole stash and making a run for Mexico!:evillaugh: Of course, I'd have to drive by Kevin's house, so I'll probably just mail them to him.

The package will go back in the mail today or tomorrow at the latest! Fun!:yipee::yipee:

It will go today or Monday but not tomorrow. You really *have* been hammered at work, and maybe "hammered" off work especially.

:sarcastic:

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
txpaulie said:
Break it up, you two!:hi:

I thought I'd share my pickin's from the box pass...

Pa-duke, oak burl, and per-simmon...

p
http://i762.Rule #2/albums/xx265/TXPaulie/pics272.jpg

nicely done, i recognize one of them :wacko3: how is the edge on your tools after that oak :rotflmao3: that stuff is hard! :treehugger:

davidgiul

Reaction score
First name
David
Yikes. I just realized that Kevin is in front of me.:davidguil: