ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I'm looking to get an electric chainsaw. Here's the 3 I think I would be content with...

Worx 18"

Worx 16"

Oregon self sharpening

I'm looking to keep it at $100 or so. Mrs rip wants to get me something for pepere day. So I think this would be real handy. I would be able to use year long. Even in the winter in the garage out of the elements. And even be able to use it with the door closed and not set off the alarm! I have a few logs I've been drying out that need to be processed little by little. I wouldn't be doing an all day marathon with it.
Anyone have any comments, questions, or better suggestions of saw?

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I don't have any experience with the brands you have listed, but............I don't like any auto chain tensioning device, they all will malfunction.
The worx brand has been coming on strong in the market, but it is just marketed for the home owner or consumer, not real heavy duty.
The oregon you would think would be good.....good bar and chain.......but........on the saw chain sharpeners have never worked.
I do have experience with Makita, Husqvarna, and Bosch electric chain saws and they are all good quality, but not cheap.
I own a makita, great for indoor use!
The higher the amp the more power the saw will have.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Wow that self sharpening feature looks pretty cool, if it works. I have a Makita with a 15 amp motor and a 16" bar, and 16 inches is plenty for that motor. But i guess if you were cutting green or soft wood it should do OK with an 18 inch bar... I paid about $200 on special from Amazon about 10 years ago, They are about $250 now. Mine is still going strong, in fact I'm amazed at how well it has held up with the abuse I have given it, but it might be outside your budget....

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Mrs rip wants to get me something for pepere day.

Pepper mills make great gifts for Pepper Day. Salt mills for Salt Day and so forth. For Hump Day I like to get.... okay never mind on that.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like this one?

Makita UC3551A Electric Chain Saw, 14"

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Pepper mills make great gifts for Pepper Day. Salt mills for Salt Day and so forth. For Hump Day I like to get.... okay never mind on that.
I tell her that every Wednesday....:sarcastic:

MKTacop

Reaction score
First name
Buddy
I have a Worx electric chainsaw. I can't remember what model, but it has done well for me. I used it to to cut down about 12 Holly bushes a few years ago. I've also used it to cut up a deck I was tearing down to rebuild and to cut up some logs I got. It has good power and is pretty quiet. I can get the model for you after work if you want.

DavidDobbs

Reaction score
First name
David
Look for a Poulan electric chainsaw.
They are super tuff i have had one 8-10 years just so I don't have to fire a gas saw in the shop. $39-$49
I don't run oil in it.
Dave

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I have a Worx electric chainsaw. I can't remember what model, but it has done well for me. I used it to to cut down about 12 Holly bushes a few years ago. I've also used it to cut up a deck I was tearing down to rebuild and to cut up some logs I got. It has good power and is pretty quiet. I can get the model for you after work if you want.

You don't have to, I have 2 of em saved in my bookmarks...but if you feel the need, then, sure...:good2:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
They are super tuff i have had one 8-10 years just so I don't have to fire a gas saw in the shop. $39-$49
I don't run oil in it.
Dave

This one?

link

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I don't run oil in it.
Dave

My dad has a Sears which I believe was made by Poulan. I love that thing!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Marc, thanks for making this thread. And thanks to everyone for their insight.

While I eventually plan to get a nice chainsaw and a chainsaw mill within the next 2 or 3 years, I've been thinking that an electric would would be beneficial for me now (and would remain beneficial, even if I had a gas chainsaw) and would allow me to process some things I haven't been able to process or bring home more logs than I have in the past. This thread has been great and now I've got my eye on getting one of the ones that have been linked, but not completely settled on which one yet - I'll have a month or two before I pull the trigger on buying one.