Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
So, I've been thinking about my Lichtenberg wood burner and safety measures... Any of you folks know a good source for electrical gloves rated for 12000 volts?

I tooled around on Amazon and eBay without finding anything that really stood out. Maybe someone here would have an extra pair that I could buy or barter? If not, I'm happy to go the retail route.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn! Class 2 gloves aren't cheap! I'm gonna end up spending more on the gloves than I did on the burner... Still better than having sparks shoot out of every orifice, but wow!

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Damn! Class 2 gloves aren't cheap! I'm gonna end up spending more on the gloves than I did on the burner... Still better than having sparks shoot out of every orifice, but wow!
Agreed been thinking about your setup and don't like the idea of holding a lead in each hand, wood (pun intended) be a good idea as an extra insurance policy.

JohnF

Reaction score
First name
John
I had a friend who was the head of a city electrical dept. He told me once that they got new safety gear every so often and just threw the old stuff away. Perhaps you could check with your cities dept?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
So, I've been thinking about my Lichtenberg wood burner and safety measures... Any of you folks know a good source for electrical gloves rated for 12000 volts?

I tooled around on Amazon and eBay without finding anything that really stood out. Maybe someone here would have an extra pair that I could buy or barter? If not, I'm happy to go the retail route.

The thing I really liked about the rig you bought was how much versatility the probes give, but I don't know anything about the manufacture (nor the manufactuer) of them. I assume they are phenolic resins or some such highly electrical resistive material? The main thing you want to do is make sure the electrons don't see you as the path of least resistance. You should invest in in an insulative mat. IMO gloves are cumbersome and could cause a mistake if the rig is well designed and built, and the probes are insulated and know how to find ground other than through you.

At SWAT if you remind me I will tell you about a pin hole that went through my thumb and came out my pinky finger and the muscle reflex broke a ceramic tuning tool I was using to adjust and open capacitor into three parts and I lost my flight status for 3 weeks because of it. It knocked me backward into Chief Konya who was watching me do it and it ruined his Trop shirt because of the coffee he spilled on himself when I was thrown back into him. THAT was ONLY 460 RF. Get some education Doc and make sure you don't get it here.

Dennis Ford

Reaction score
First name
Dennis
If you are going to depend on the gloves to protect you, definitely need some training on their use and testing. OSHA requires them to be re-certified every 6 months of use. Many companies throw them away then as testing is expensive. You might get some used ones cheap but what if they have a defect that would get you killed. Gloves are not a complete solution to making this safe. IMO a little fear and careful use is more important.

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee

Great idea! I've never heard of electrical gloves. A worthwhile investment!!

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I thought this thread could use some fun facts about electrocution.

I just hope @rocky1 doesn't hurt himself researching other great facts.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I appreciate the input from everybody. My neighbor across the street works as a safety officer for a local electrical company, and he's going to check on their pricing for class 2 gloves. I'm certainly not depending on the gloves to make me entirely safe, but I think I'm probably safer with them than without. I've got a rubber mat that I stand on when using the device, and the probes are phenolic with super insulated wires connecting them to the unit. I have the unit and workpiece on a wooden surface with nothing metallic around. I realize there's nothing that will make this a risk free endeavor, but I'm all for hedging my bets.