End grain sealer

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Been using Anchorseal and Anchorseal 2 for many years and have been happy with the results. Saw this in the Craft Supplies USA catalog a figured it’s worth a try. Claims “guarantee to out perform any other brand green wood sealer on the market”. Anybody use it and how you like it?

07B7D3F6-4D54-49F8-AD0C-0B0FCB2E0351.jpeg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Edit, ignore my comments. I was on my small screen last night and didn't realize that was the PVA based sealer in the picture until I read Kyles comments . My comments were on their generic wax sealer. I haven't used their PVA sealer.

I've got a tub I've been using for a few months. Works as good as any I've tried, but seemed a bit runny to me compared to others I've used. I've not really compared any brands, I just search for and buy the cheapest when I need some.

No problems I've noticed, but really only using it on spindle blanks. I use PVA on slabs and log sections, and don't use sealer on twice turned bowls (use paper bags).

Last edited:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Let us know how it works, sounds great "according to the label" I still have half of a 5 gallon bucket of anchorseal that will last me the rest of my life though...

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Is it as pricey as Anchorseal?
Sounds like it's the stuff we used to make way back when, referred to as sizing. Essentially PVA white glue watered down to thin it out enough to soak in and dry quickly. Wasn't involved in green wood work back then, it was used to seal the edges of MDF sheet and such prior to painting with lacquer and such.
Given it's made from PVA, the V of which is vinyl... I wouldn't consider it a food safe product, through I double any would still be left anywhere on the finished product in most instances the way you use it.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
About the same price at $32 gal. Have lots of wood to cut and seal before the snow flies, will know more about how it performs in the spring.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
About the same price at $32 gal. Have lots of wood to cut and seal before the snow flies, will know more about how it performs in the spring.
Anxious to know how it performs. I do need to buy some sealer as I ran out of Anchorseal before I made the move to Texas last year. Chuck