**ENDED**balsa

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Anybody got any? Looking for bigger pieces in the 4x4x12 plus range or bigger.

If you have anything with similarities, especially weight, compared to balsa i would be interested to hear about it.

Thanks
Cody

Treecycle Hardwoods

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I have some really nice basswood in the kiln that should be dry within the next few months. It is currently in duck blank sizes. 4 x 6 x 48, 7 x 4 x 48, and some 12/4 & 8/4 also. It is not very close to balsa weight or color, but is a common wood for carving like balsa is.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate it but i have a bunch of basswood already. It doesnt work for what i do and i was gonna trade it off on here or burn it if this winter never ends, im almost out of wood.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Willow eh?

Is there any chance you have a scale to weight a piece? Then i could weight a piece of balsa i have and see the diffence, if thats not asking to much?

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Willow eh?

Is there any chance you have a scale to weight a piece? Then i could weight a piece of balsa i have and see the diffence, if thats not asking to much?

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! :scare3:
:yipee: Sorry I could not resist. I will cut a piece in the AM. Have to dig it out. It is very light-but actually quite strong- some of it very figured. I just have not figured out what to do with it.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I greatly appreciate it!

I also am highly interested in it if it fits the bill, im always looking to try something new and this site is great for finding the new woods i havent played with yet.

Thanks, and if anyone else has something they might think will work and could do a weight test im all ears.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I greatly appreciate it!

I also am highly interested in it if it fits the bill, im always looking to try something new and this site is great for finding the new woods i havent played with yet.

Thanks, and if anyone else has something they might think will work and could do a weight test im all ears.

Curious- what are you going to do with it?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I saw a while ago that Hawaiians use the Hawaiian coral tree or wiliwili (Erythrina sandwicensis) for their boats. Would that be an option as well?

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
As long as it is light, weight is a huge thing for me toget bouyancy right. I make these to hold specific amounts of weight and anything that is to dense sinks like a stone.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
As long as it is light, weight is a huge thing for me toget bouyancy right. I make these to hold specific amounts of weight and anything that is to dense sinks like a stone.

Have you tried western red cedar?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Not to be too forward but, @davidgiul Lives in Hawaii? Maybe he can acquire some?

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
No i have not.

Im going to,weight a block tomorrow, probably should have done that first, and post it so people know what kind of weight im talking about. I couldnt fathom a guess but i know it isnt much for how big of a block i use.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Seems like red cedar would be perfect. Very buoyant- light- resistant to rot and downright pleasant smelling while working it. It is not as light as balsa wood -8-14 lbs a cubic ft spruce 28 lbs western red cedar 23 lbs willow 27