~\ENDED/~ Belah also called Au. Black Oak (Casuarina cristata) forth known hardest wood in world

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Have a piece of Belah (Casuarina cristata) for sale. Around 8" long by 1 3/8 by 1 3/8 . Turns and finishes really nice. Tied with Lignum Vitae as the fourth known hardest wood in the world. Asking $22.

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
...(Casuarina cristata) ... Tied with Lignum Vitae as the fourth known hardest wood in the world.
I wouldn't get too carried away w/ "fourth hardest". Tables of such are notoriously fickle. My own shows it as the 6th hardest
1606702472631.png

Last edited:

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
Now I am super curious about Solomon Islands black wood and Philippine lignum vitae. Beautiful wood by the way. Reminds me of the casuarina growing here in Taiwan.

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't get too carried away w/ "fourth hardest". Tables of such are notoriously fickle. My own shows it as the 6th hardest
View attachment 197007
What list are you using as a reference? You are correct about there are recorded harder woods but they usually are for the Janka test on individual samples versus an average for the species.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
View attachment 197007
I have did quite a bit of searching and have never seen Desert Ironwood listed, it's gotta be up there somewhere... wonder why someone hasn't tested it?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I have did quite a bit of searching and have never seen Desert Ironwood listed, it's gotta be up there somewhere... wonder why someone hasn't tested it?
Why do you make things hard when I've already DONE it for you?

1606764610319.png

See page 2 of my site

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I'd say that was a great deal but only if Eric (@Krume ) offers hole drilling service. If that wood is that hard I bet it'll smoke a drill bit or two.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Huh. I just realized that this is a sheoak. Certainly doesn't look like one. I've seen sheoak look just a little bit dull, but never anything like this piece. I can't see any rays at all. Normally, all sheoaks, regardless of cut, show strong signs of the rays.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/sheoak.htm

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Huh. I just realized that this is a sheoak. Certainly doesn't look like one. I've seen sheoak look just a little bit dull, but never anything like this piece. I can't see any rays at all. Normally, all sheoaks, regardless of cut, show strong signs of the rays.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/sheoak.htm
It is reported to be the only species in the genus to not have the wide rays. Finishes well though and looks good, see attached bottle stopper. Like maples the sapwood is thick and hard.

Belah Heartwood.jpg

Belah Sapwood.jpg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
It is reported to be the only species in the genus to not have the wide rays.
Good to know. Where did you find that information?

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Those are nice and the hole only needs to go part way, much easier. Still - no hole drilling service though, right?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Eric (@Krume ) I just got the piece that you sent. Thanks again. WOWZERS is this stuff every hard and heavy. This would be a great wood for a billy club.

When I get around to processing it, I'll be interested in seeing how the end grain compares to "normal" sheoak varieties.

Krume

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Good to hear the piece finally made it to you! The box spent a month in Baltimore before being sent towards New York. Saw more than one comment from people in Australia that the wood was not a favorite one to work with because it did not have the wide rays like the other species in the Genus. Have made a few things with the species and it turns fine and finishes well with a really nice look.

Eric