Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

**ENDED** Charles M Russell Prints / Any American West Art Collectors out there.

Discussion in 'Non-woodworking Items For Sale, Trade, or WTB' started by Jeff M., Feb 10, 2018.

1. Jeff M.

Jeff M. Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Jeff
    All 7 Charles M Russell Prints are SOLD to @walnutwoodshop Thank You All for your interest!
    Thank You Chad for your purchase. Prints Mailing 2-12-18

Do some research on Charles M Russell, this guy lived an incredible life and was an amazing artist.

We found some Charles M Russell Prints in my uncles belongings. These are old prints, I can only guess the decade though from the info I found on the internet and who copyrighted them at that time. Neat prints, Best my aunt can remember is that these were on my uncles Boyhood ranch in South Dakota which was a terrible fight after the mother died and it was bulldozed for sale in land. Sad but she does not know how these got in a tube in my uncles closet. Where they have been a good 30 years since the ranch was sold. Sly old man.

$15.00 each plus shipping, If you want to make a purchase pictures are in exact order listed. Any questions please feel free to ask. If you would like some more pictures of any print specific, just let me know.
    Thanks for looking.
    @Tony this look ok to you
    @rocky1

1. 1940's TDM Co Print of a Partial (the full size painting has a ton of detail. This is approx 8x10 and is just the main of the painting. but the oldest one.) of Charles M Russell's 1890 Painting Riders of the Rough String Might be Canvas, or extremely heavy laminated paper. but the back is shiny but textured. Not Framed But in Good shape, some lifting of painting on left and right edge where it must of been taped up at one time.

4x 1970's Charles M Russell Prints Reproduced by Brown & Bigelow
    2. In Without Knocking - approx 11x14 inches
    3. Heads or Tails - approx-9x15 inches
    4. When Horseflesh Comes - approx - 9x15 inches
    5. Bronc to Breakfast - approx 9x15 inches
    Not Framed, and Not Perfect, a 1/4" tear on the edge or a pinhole.

2z Charles M Russell prints done by Ridgely Printing & Calender Co in Central Falls MT. Do Not know what year. Aged heavy laminated paper, Heavy Laminated Paper. Nothing on back.
    6. A Rainy Morning in Cow Camp Approx 10 x 12 inches
    7. Scattering the Riders Approx 10 x 12 inches
    Paper has aged some, pinholes, very small 1/8" to 1/4 wrinkling or tears on edge of border, not on pictures

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    On a different note. My aunt let me pick one. I picked a large 1940 canvas print of "Tight Dally and Loose Latigo" The story of the painting is amazing. But I picked it, not cause it was the oldest or maybe a few dollars more valuable. cause my uncle was a heeler (calf roper) when he was a young man. Just behind the painting I put a pamphlet from his funeral services, and wrote the date and some info on the back of the cardboard for the frame. And all this made me think, my aunt is having to distribute his things in such a fashion that it would of been easier on her and the kids had he left a will. So folks do yourself a favor, If you want something to get to your loved ones. Sit down, write it up and get it notarized, and make sure everyone involved has a copy. I know I am going to the courthouse tomorrow. Time is guaranteed to know man. Some of us less than others, but sometimes having a few things to remember those we love, Well it can be all it takes to get through some hard times. And knowing me those dang hospitals could raid my place to pay my bills before I get unhooked and out of there room next time. HA!!! :rulz:

IMG_2535.JPG

• Sincere Sincere x 2
  3. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    The reprints by Brown & Bigelow were likely instigated by Time-Life books, either directly or indirectly. Time-Life published and sold their book series on the Old West from 1973 - 1980... Many, if not most of Russel's prints are pictured in the books.

4. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    My Great gramps was a Photographer and market hunter. Russel and Zeke used to hunt- work and probably what they did most was drink together. Great Grandma lived to almost 100. She had such wonderful stories about both men. Wish I could have recorded stories. 1900 -great falls and Helena area was pretty wild country

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  5. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    If you every get to Great falls the museum there has a lot of cool stuff.

6. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    @Mike1950 That is really cool. I read a lot about him trying to figure out those prints and in most cases, he witnessed it. What a life.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    @ Rocky1 it says most of charles russell's prints that were reproduced by brown and bigelow
    These are some of the earliest prints of Russell's paintings—they were acquired by our founder, Fred T. Darvill, on a trip through Montana ... who was the paintings owner. and he may have set up something with Time Life but he actually stopped in Montana and bought the paintings and therefore the rights to reprint them is how I understand it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    They are something though. whew what an artist he was. I am wanting to find a print of his first painting/postcard that made him famous "Waiting for a Chinook" The story gave me shivers.

9. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    Yep- pretty Wild country. Great gramps Dad -"Cap" was a gold rush guy- led the wagon train to Emigrant Mt. for the first permanent settlement in Mt. - somewhere about 1865. His brother Ben came there in the army- and resides at Custer's last stand. even now eastern Mt. (Big Sky Country) is miles and miles of land with very few people.

10. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    @Mike1950 Thats some good history to have there.
    hope to see it someday. was always fascinated the wild frontier when I was a kid.

• Like Like x 1
  11. walnutwoodshop

walnutwoodshop Member Full Member

First name:
    chad
    What would you take for the whole lot?
    Thanks Chad

12. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    @walnutwoodshop sorry for the delay, rough day and fell asleep at the desk. I tell ya we would do them shipped to you for $75.00 for all 7 prints. Just barely over $10 a piece and I could ship them out first thing in the morning to you Priority Mail. and as stated We will pay shipping on a bulk buy like that.
    Just tryng to clarify since in the ad it said dif.

Let me know either way and thanks for your interest.

Jeff

@Tony does it all look good on this end bud.

• Like Like x 1
  13. walnutwoodshop

First name:
    chad
    I will take them. Get me your PayPal and I will get you paid. Thanks alot Chad

14. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Nice score Chad, those are some nice prints! Tony

15. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    @walnutwoodshop Hi Chad, Thank you, I apologize though, I do not have paypal at this time. Could you please send a check or money order. I will still ship the prints out for you tomorrow. It's all good here. and you can wait till you get the prints if you would like before you mail the check. I just need your addy to mail the prints too. and my addy is

Just let me know yours and I will send a tracking # in the morning.
    Sorry for the hassle without the paypal at this time.

Thank You for your Purchase.
    And Tony is Right Good score. They are very nice to look at. Got the one she let me have in my hallway.

And I just have been adding Tony cause these are my first few deals and I want to make sure I do em right. Just in case you were wondering.

@Tony

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2018
  16. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    @Jeff M. Per our rules, you can't put yoir personal information on the open forum. Start a PM with him and exchange info that way. Thanks! Tony

17. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
  18. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    Prints Shipped Yesterday USPS Priority Mail 2/13/18

19. Jeff M.

First name:
    Jeff
    @walnutwoodshop hi Chad, Just tracked the package of prints and they are out for delivery.

20. walnutwoodshop

First name:
    chad
    Hey Jeff
    They were here when I got home. If you haven't got the check yet I would guess it will be there Monday. The prints look great. Thanks alot

Current Time: 4:25 AM