ENDED - Cottonwood bowl blanks wanted

TVmaker

Reaction score
First name
Tyler
Hello All! I'm try to track down some Eastern Cottonwood bowl blanks. 6x6x3 or larger preferred.

Hey @phinds, I saw in an old post that you offered some. Do you know if they are Eastern Cottonwood, Populus deltoides, if you're into the whole latin thing. Do you still have any of those bowl blanks around? Thanks!

Cheers!

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Hello All! I'm try to track down some Eastern Cottonwood bowl blanks. 6x6x3 or larger preferred.

Hey @phinds, I saw in an old post that you offered some. Do you know if they are Eastern Cottonwood, Populus deltoides, if you're into the whole latin thing. Do you still have any of those bowl blanks around? Thanks!

Cheers!
Tyler, I don't know which kind of cottonwood they are. I think I may have one of them left. I'll have to check and get back to you.

TVmaker

Reaction score
First name
Tyler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks @phinds! Sounds promising... I'll give it a couple of days and see if anyone pops up with a positive ID. And if not, I'll buy your blank. Cheers!

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Tyler, Why the interest in Eastern Cottonwood? I thought the cottonwood might be rather plain looking unless spalted, but maybe I misjudged this tree.

TVmaker

Reaction score
First name
Tyler
Hey Karl! Haha, yeah, you're right, the grain itself typically doesn't have significant figuring or dramatic coloring. I'm searching on behalf of a customer whose fiance is an arborist and has a sentimental connection to cottonwood, preferably of the Eastern variety. If you know anyone who has some, please send them my way.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Hey Karl! Haha, yeah, you're right, the grain itself typically doesn't have significant figuring or dramatic coloring. I'm searching on behalf of a customer whose fiance is an arborist and has a sentimental connection to cottonwood, preferably of the Eastern variety. If you know anyone who has some, please send them my way.

I'll keep my ears open for one coming down because many people around here consider these junk trees due to cottony mess that's left behind from the seeds.

Btw, there some 6x5x3 cottonwood bowl blanks (qty 4) listed on eBay currently, but your customer might prefer the wider one from @phinds

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Is there a botanical difference between cottonwood in the east and that in the west?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Is there a botanical difference between cottonwood in the east and that in the west?
No. They are both Populus deltoides. Also, as nearly as I can tell, all of the Populus spp. that are called cottonwood are indistinguishable from each other by end grain. That is, they all have the same anatomical characteristics. The trees can, presumably, be differentiated but not the wood itself.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Just curious. The guy I am getting oodles of BLM from also has a big cottonwood that he can't even give away.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Just curious. The guy I am getting oodles of BLM from also has a big cottonwood that he can't even give away.

Eastern Cottonwood, Populus deltoides, is from the east coast, to the Rocky Mountains. It is sparse in the Appalachian Mountains, reserved to along waterways in the flats. There are a few varieties of the tree as you move into the Great Plains and Texas way.

Cali and north have the Black cottonwood, P. triocarpa, very similar. And to add confusion, there are several other Populus species that can hybridize with both and have natural overlap in many areas.

dennisp42

Reaction score
First name
Dennis
Hi TVMaker
I'm not able to do it right now. I'm in NC looking to buy a house and Saturday we're headed to Ohio for a couple weeks. It will be at least two weeks before I can send them to you, is that OK?
Dennis

TVmaker

Reaction score
First name
Tyler
Hi TVMaker
I'm not able to do it right now. I'm in NC looking to buy a house and Saturday we're headed to Ohio for a couple weeks. It will be at least two weeks before I can send them to you, is that OK?
Dennis

Hey Dennis! Good luck on your trip! I need to get cracking on this project, so I'm going to order from someone else. But I greatly appreciate your help!

TVmaker

Reaction score
First name
Tyler

dennisp42

Reaction score
First name
Dennis
Hey Dennis! Good luck on your trip! I need to get cracking on this project, so I'm going to order from someone else. But I greatly appreciate your help!
I understand. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you. If you've never turned cottonwood be sure to use VERY sharp tools. I get a lot of tear out when turning. Good luck with your project.
Dennis