**ENDED** Desert Ironwood

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
For the life of me, I can't figure out why my post was funny. It is as if 2 of you thought I'm not nice. :redcard::wacko::lol4:

I still belong on Ron's nice list, though.

Truth be told, Henry, you are a nice guy.

However, you've also got a mean streak, as witnessed by your cut-throat actions in the recent auction! :sarcastic: Gotta warn the new guys about you! :lol:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Truth be told, Henry, you are a nice guy.

However, you've also got a mean streak, as witnessed by your cut-throat actions in the recent auction! :sarcastic: Gotta warn the new guys about you! :lol:

Henry is our closet serial cereal killer. We don't like to talk about him at family reunions but we know he is always there on the fringes of our inner-morbid existentialism . . . .

SENC avatar.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like another avatar change is in order . . . .

Foot Patrol

ABS Apprentice BladeSmith
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Ron are you sure you do not live in Kentucky. That box reminds me of the gold reserves of Fort Knox!!! Best of luck grinding through all those knives. Please post pictures when you finish them up so we can drool again.

Scott

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I'm gonna get a reputation. I know when I'm beat.

Oh well, so much for dreaming about a little piece of Ron's gold.

Last edited:

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Henry is our closet serial cereal killer. We don't like to talk about him at family reunions but we know he is always there on the fringes of our inner-morbid existentialism . . . .

View attachment 47536

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like another avatar change is in order . . . .
Ha is that one of the garbage pal kids

robert flynt

Reaction score
First name
Robert
[/QUOTE]
Guys this is not a nice way to treat a new member talented or not. But speaking of talent, anyone with the level of talent Ron has in my book deserves the benefit of the doubt. If anyone could muster the contacts and wherewithal to come up with 375 blocks of primo DIW, my money would be on someone like Ron who would obviously have made contacts none of the rest of us would likely have.

DIW a low grade material? Compared to gold and gems and rare treasures of antiquity that billionaires play with then yes, DIW by itself would not be something that would probably attract their attention . . . unless it was attached to a work of art made by a world class artisan.

JMO
Kevin is right, Ron is a Master Blade Smith that I don't know personally but have seen at some of the better knife shows. Mastersmiths' work starts in the $500 or more price range so they must use the best of the best material and they do sell to royalty. A friend of mine, Ron Best, has sold a number of knives to Saudi royalty through brokers. They almost never deal with the maker directly. What you must realize is there is a high end market, with customers who have unlimited funds that are hard to conceive. And yes they know what premium material looks like and are very very selective.

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I just wish I could make a knife to carry around the yard.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
What you must realize is there is a high end market, with customers who have unlimited funds that are hard to conceive. And yes they know what premium material looks like and are very very selective.
They especially like elephant ivory and rhino horn:sarcastic:

robert flynt

Reaction score
First name
Robert
I really didn't mean to sound as though I was being hard around the edges but there is another world out there most people don't realize exist. When I congratulated John White on his knife winning best of show and best bowie at the Blade Show last year,he commented it had sold for $8000 and was on it's way over seas. There are parts of the world that are knife cultures, their cutlery is highly prized and the owners command respect because a knife is feared more that a gun. You can be holding a rifle and it doesn't phase them but you pull out your knife and they scatter like quail. It is also quite a status symbol in those areas of the world and they will pay the most they can afford.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Robert when I first saw Ron's knives and googled him I suddenly realized here is a guy who probably gets enough money for some of his knives that someone could literally buy a small house with. Because of nothing to do with wood I have met some of the people you refer to as "another world" and it's a good analogy - it's sort of a "breakaway civilization".

robert flynt

Reaction score
First name
Robert
Robert when I first saw Ron's knives and googled him I suddenly realized here is a guy who probably gets enough money for some of his knives that someone could literally buy a small house with. Because of nothing to do with wood I have met some of the people you refer to as "another world" and it's a good analogy - it's sort of a "breakaway civilization".
Yes it has been an eye opener for me over the years what people with money will pay, not that I'm complaining. Even so, considering the number of knife makers, only a small percentage can make a living doing it. I'm very glad I don't haft to, it would drive me crazy to have a 10 yr. back log like Ron. One reason I keep it to a small number. I much prefer to sell from a table at a show.
That's freaking Creepy Kevin