ENDED ERROR Requested Oak Burl pieces

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Please see post #14 explaining the error.

A while ago in a white oak thread I said will be cutting another and some folks asked for specific pieces. Made first cuts today, was a little tricky making such little pieces with the chainsaw but they came out ok. šŸ˜œ Have some heavy 1 x 1 x 4ā€ reel seats for @DLJeffs and 6 x 3 x 1/2ā€ cross and flat samples for @Mr. Peet, still working on the rest for the others that asked. This was part of a hoard I got a few months ago and was told it is white oak, itā€™s pretty wood but think itā€™s red oak. Definately smells oaky but have very limited experience with both. If you still want the pieces PM me your addresses and will get them to you for $10, if not no worries.

Known red oak on the left, white oak on the right.

D2E37E09-1100-4282-BCCD-890F582D8689.jpeg

A few rounds from this piece.

C86223DA-CEA5-4552-9F62-9B0AC45846C0.jpeg
ACBAE62D-C80D-4B75-A9D9-FBB15DE9A6BB.jpeg 6CB12565-4F31-43F7-BC66-8ACEF359B989.jpeg 11C26EAF-A27A-421E-A011-8DF2DF9FBC92.jpeg FA08F59A-F09B-4B9B-98DF-DD5858B31436.jpeg

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
After you take care of everyone else, Iā€™d like to get on the list for a bowl blank if youā€™re selling any. As big a one as youā€™re willing to part with that will fit into a flat rate box. :)

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Well, well, well- I should have known and should have been dressed appropriately which is to have had a longer bib when I opened :window: jonkouā€™s thread:treehugger:ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.oh and that ā€œsmilesā€ with the tree hugger ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.^ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.just really looks inappropriate to me:unknown:ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦a simple hug would have been nice and appropriate:wink:

Last edited:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
After you take care of everyone else, Iā€™d like to get on the list for a bowl blank if youā€™re selling any. As big a one as youā€™re willing to part with that will fit into a flat rate box. :)
I would be in for one of these as well. Nice wood!

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
@Jonkou That's some gorgeous wood there, Chief!
I'd be interested in some live-edged cut-offs if you come across any in the process of preparing blanks and rounds.
Thank you.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Now, let it be known - It would be dangerous for Lil Mikey to be cutting open a burl with a view like that going on! He might cut off stuff one shouldn't cut off!

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Package sent to Doug.
Package sent to Mark.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Oh man! Put me in for some of that! Looks awesome.
On a sticky, below are previously requested from last time, no promisesā€¦
- Got you for pen blanks and bigger pieces Josh, box ainā€™t full yet.
- A blank the size of the big cherry for Arn.
- 2-3ā€ box blanks for Mlyle.
- Doug and Mark are pau.

Those asking in the thread above, weā€™ll see how it goesā€¦
- Got you for cutoffs JB, bin is filling up.

Keep in mind that I cut wood for myself first and foremost. Iā€™m picky and only keep the best, smallest I use for my work are 2 1/2 x 5 1/2ā€ rounds. Have a lifetime supply of pen blanks and smaller pieces so donā€™t keep them anymore unless they are really special. Donā€™t have stabilizing or casting capability and anything with more than very minor checks etc I donā€™t use. They are offered up here and now that the Clubs and Programs Iā€˜m involved with are finally going back live to the members, kids and special programs we do.

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
John, after the dust settles and everyone is taken care of, let me know if you have anything that I can
do casting with. More specifically I use the following : 4x4x1.25, 1-1/2"sq. x 7
I'm also in the market for a piece that is 6"x 6" x 2-3"
Thanks
Randy

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
PLEASE READā€¦

Was cutting more on this chunk o wood today and it hit meā€¦ itā€™s Cherry, not oak. Like I said before, very limited experience with oaks, now believe the smell I thought was oaky is musty from being in a basement for years before I liberated it. Feel very foolish getting this far into this without realizing my mistake. Matched it up with some previously cut keeper cherry from the same hoard and itā€™s identical.

With that said, Mark and Doug, Iā€™ll return your checks when they get here and keep the wood. For the others waiting, my sincere apologies, there will be no more white oak from me anytime soon. My only saving grace is I caught this fuster cluck before Mark or Doug called me out on it.

Again, sincere apologies to all, will finish cutting it up and post anew anything being offered up.

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
PLEASE READā€¦

Was cutting more on this chunk o wood today and it hit meā€¦ itā€™s Cherry, not oak. Like I said before, very limited experience with oaks, now believe the smell I thought was oaky is musty from being in a basement for years before I liberated it. Feel very foolish getting this far into this without realizing my mistake. Matched it up with some previously cut keeper cherry from the same hoard and itā€™s identical.

With that said, Mark and Doug, Iā€™ll return your checks when they get here and keep the wood. For the others waiting, my sincere apologies, there will be no more white oak from me anytime soon. My only saving grace is I caught this fuster cluck before Mark or Doug called me out on it.

Again, sincere apologies to all, will finish cutting it up and post anew anything being offered up.
It's still exceptionally gorgeous so my request stands if you come across a chunk that's not useful for you.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
PLEASE READā€¦

Sent a message but I don't really care what kind of burl it is, I think it'll make really nice reel seat inserts so I'm keeping my deal. Don't return my payment John, we're good mate.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
PLEASE READā€¦

@Jonkou -I am still in regardless as I have requested for cherry burl before this per our pm as you ended up keeping the 2 out 3 that you posted. Please keep me in the loop and keep me posted. It is still gorgeous stuff to echo Barbā€™s statement.

Arn

David - Ohio

Banned
Reaction score
First name
David
For Wild Cherry and Ambrosia Maple Burl of the highest quality one cannot go past A and Q Hardwoods.

They are a very professional Timber Mill situated in Dorset Ohio and they ship flat rate across the USA. I have no personal interest in them except to say they provide the highest quality timber blanks of any size, of any variety and in fact they will cut to size and provide 24/7 Fed ex delivery.