**ENDED** figured maple logs

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
I'm looking for figured maple logs hard or soft. If anybody knows of anybody that has highly figured maple logs showing figure throughout the bark of the log I'm willing to purchase and ship these. Would also need to see a cookie break test from each end of the log. Looking for heavy curl and possibly quilted if its out there anywhere.

davduckman2010

were ever you go-- there you are
Reaction score
First name
david
i have many ambrosia logs laying on the ground that i havent drug out yet do to the wet weather this month. but i realy dont know how you can tell there curly or quilted till they have been slice on the sides. i can tell there figured as soon as they tip over but you cant see curl on the endgrains all that well. . i didnt find my culy stuff half the time till i planed them. granted you see a lot at the bases do to there weight. ol zirk was an exception you knew right away it was a freak but i will tell you what i havent been to disapointed with the results so far either way. what size logs you looking for?

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm looking for anything from 12" to 48" diameter and 5-10' long. For it to be worth spending the money on shipping it has to be premium stuff, I'm really looking for that AAAA grade/ musical grade stuff, plus the logs would have to be winter cut to reduce the presence of staining. There are log yards around that specialize in crazy figure high dollar logs like I'm looking for I just can't seem to find the said log yards.... I can get maple logs locally but not the type I'm looking for, sure they will have figure here and there but I'm wanting the stuff that makes your eyeballs pop out of your head when you see it. I tried looking around the Washington area but not a lot of mills deal with the big leaf maples, they just get knocked over and left to rot when the loggers come through for the big timber. I know these types of logs are going to cost me but I'm ready for that, I also know shipping is not going to be cheap and that's why they have to be the primo stuff to justify that cost.

davduckman2010

were ever you go-- there you are
Reaction score
First name
david
lol thats a tall order there jimmy sounds like the holy grail:rofl::rofl:. around here the they will cut ambrosia up with the the rest of the maples for pallet wood. they may get a few ambrosia or curly stuff they might throw the out back in a small pile and off them to a woodworker once a year . theres not enough of it to market it so they dont bother with it . all they care about is oaks and strait grain for the lumber yards. i got some special trees that i have not touched for the same reason your looking for them. i just know theres some serious funk going on in them im saveing those to retire on :cool:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I know a guy in Canada who seems to have an in for quilted and curly logs like those you seek. I don't know that he's sold them, but I'd be happy to give you his contact info if you're interested. Shoot me a PM if the Canadian aspect doesn't ruin the deal for you.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
My 2 cents worth again- WHY??? Shipping wet/ heavy maple from wash. coast to Iowa makes no sense. They will never give you the good stuff. You have great wood right there -get it- saw it -sell it and buy the maple you need. Just the ol grouch's thoughts..................

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I agree he'll not likely find logs like that because they'd be too expensive if he even found someone to sell them to him, but stranger things have happened. It's not likely but it's possible so what does it hurt to try? He's obviously going to be milling his local stuff anyway but so what if he wants to try and score a fantasy log in the meantime. And if he does find a log or a dozen shipping logs isn't as expensive even today as you think.

If I had posted 9 years ago somewhere "I'm going to find a 52 acre patch of boxelder and every damned one of them is going to be flamed like a 50's jalopy!" I'd have gotten laughed off every forum on the internet. Jim yes be prepared for "failure" but keep your dream alive and don't let anyone rain on your parade. :wink:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Nobody was trying to rain on anybody's parade- It is 2000 miles to the coast +or- and they do know what they have. Look on ebay - Randles sell a lot of wood there $$$$$$- do you think they will send their good logs away. . Sometimes it is best to keep eyes on the boat- I shall butt out.................

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
jimmyjames said:
I'm looking for figured maple logs hard or soft. If anybody knows of anybody that has highly figured maple logs showing figure throughout the bark of the log I'm willing to purchase and ship these. Would also need to see a cookie break test from each end of the log. Looking for heavy curl and possibly quilted if its out there anywhere.

Jimmy If you are really serious about this I can put you in touch with a guy who operates a buying yard. He buys everything from pulpwood to top grade veneer and handles millions of board feet each year. Add to that his whole large extended family is involved in the logging industry about half of the big rigs hauling logs around here are owned by one of them. Dave

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
DKMD said:
I know a guy in Canada who seems to have an in for quilted and curly logs like those you seek. I don't know that he's sold them, but I'd be happy to give you his contact info if you're interested. Shoot me a PM if the Canadian aspect doesn't ruin the deal for you.

That would be great doc :greeting:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Kevin said:
I agree he'll not likely find logs like that because they'd be too expensive if he even found someone to sell them to him, but stranger things have happened. It's not likely but it's possible so what does it hurt to try? He's obviously going to be milling his local stuff anyway but so what if he wants to try and score a fantasy log in the meantime. And if he does find a log or a dozen shipping logs isn't as expensive even today as you think.

If I had posted 9 years ago somewhere "I'm going to find a 52 acre patch of boxelder and every damned one of them is going to be flamed like a 50's jalopy!" I'd have gotten laughed off every forum on the internet. Jim yes be prepared for "failure" but keep your dream alive and don't let anyone rain on your parade. :wink:

Yep its not that expenensive to ship logs, its a lot cheaper than one would think . There's a lot of companies that sell nothing but logs , most are small time guys that are always looking for those crazy logs that I so desire, it puts a heafty paycheck in they're pocket compared to the $300 per thousand straight grained stuff... I mean if I was a logger and I could find 1 tree that would bring the same money as 20 others there has to be someone out looking for them you'd think. Plus the type of wood I'm looking for is all over the internet for sale in every state imagine able so its not like this wood is extinct, I think its probably more readily available than that mystical flamed box elder I've heard about:drinks:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
jimmyjames said:
Kevin said:

Yep its not that expenensive to ship logs, its a lot cheaper than one would think . There's a lot of companies that sell nothing but logs , most are small time guys that are always looking for those crazy logs that I so desire, it puts a heafty paycheck in they're pocket compared to the $300 per thousand straight grained stuff... I mean if I was a logger and I could find 1 tree that would bring the same money as 20 others there has to be someone out looking for them you'd think. Plus the type of wood I'm looking for is all over the internet for sale in every state imagine able so its not like this wood is extinct, I think its probably more readily available than that mystical flamed box elder I've heard about:drinks:

You can find anything you want if you want it bad enough and you don't give up. I learned a long time ago that if you want to do or pursue something it doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you. :drinks:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Kevin said:
jimmyjames said:
Kevin said:

You can find anything you want if you want it bad enough and you don't give up. I learned a long time ago that if you want to do or pursue something it doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you. :drinks:

I didnt give up, after about 900 phone calls later ive found a small company that goes in and logs big leaf maples after the big guys go in and pull all of the softwoods out, just so happens they sell this stuff cheap and regularly and has been doing so for 50 years, i just recieved the email with pictures of some logs they have in theyre yard, and i must say they are exactly what i was looking for. I wont tell you the price for them but when the old man told me the price my jaw dropped..... in a good way.... also i wont show any pictures of them till they are sitting at the farm, i have to keep the honey hole secret :sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Log buyers won't miss any of the good stuff (AAAA AAAAA) but you might get lucky even the pros miss one or two on occasion. The AA and AAA would be good with me. Pictures won't reveal the location man make us drool.

:pics:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Kevin said:
Log buyers won't miss any of the good stuff (AAAA AAAAA) but you might get lucky even the pros miss one or two on occasion. The AA and AAA would be good with me. Pictures won't reveal the location man make us drool.

:pics:

These guys don't sell to the Asian market, if they did they would be selling it for ALOT more, these guys are small time and aren't big, the owner is I'm guessing 65 or 70 and die hard american and sells to the little guys, mobile saw mills etc.

On another note on my quest for figured logs I had a guy offer me 1500 feet of quarter sawn 4/4 sycamore , that place was selling it to the Asian market via container loads but the buyer dried up. I'm not sure if it would be wise to buy it or not, its so close to me I can have it shipped for $200 and the total investment would be cheaper than I can cut anything and that's getting the logs for free when you consider milling drying and surfacing..... oh and I will have pictures up after that get home later

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Here you go kids, teaser pics, please please don't take my honey hole!

http://i178.Rule #2/albums/w249/jimmyjames1981/12_zps158e7de4.jpg

http://i178.Rule #2/albums/w249/jimmyjames1981/1_zps29a5e8a4.jpg

Sample cookie splits of a couple logs

http://i178.Rule #2/albums/w249/jimmyjames1981/10_zps589bc98b.jpg

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I've never seen maple logs (except fbe) up close and personal like that but the gnarlyness excites me. Based on the how the trees grew against a prevailing northerly wind like they did, and the fact that I can read a phone number on the trac loader I think I can figure out where your honey hole is.

:sarcastic:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
Kevin said:
I've never seen maple logs (except fbe) up close and personal like that but the gnarlyness excites me. Based on the how the trees grew against a prevailing northerly wind like they did, and the fact that I can read a phone number on the trac loader I think I can figure out where your honey hole is.

:sarcastic:

Funny! I can hook you up Kevin if you'd like :i_dunno:

Did somebody say knarly burly?

http://i178.Rule #2/albums/w249/jimmyjames1981/P1010711_zpsaa33261f.jpg

http://i178.Rule #2/albums/w249/jimmyjames1981/P1010712_zpsfd677052.jpg

http://i178.Rule #2/albums/w249/jimmyjames1981/20130711_142650_resized_zps9837f9d8.jpg