**ENDED** Figured slabs for cutting boards/serving trays

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Andrew I ran a three boards through the planer so I could get some pictures, they have been wet to highlight the grain. They are all planed 2 sides just enough to clean them up and are between 15/16 and 1 1/8 the longest one is just over 5 ' the shortest is 44" they are all over 12" wide. I can cut them down to ship in a game board box but you will loose some live edge. My meter reads 15% in the center of a fresh cut. The first two pictures are of the whole boards front and back. I will cut them any way you want them the price is $10/ board foot plus shipping.View attachment 35267 View attachment 35267

Wow, I just opened the pics on my computer... those are some gorgeous pieces! I definitely want to get a game board box of that maple. Let me look at the pics closer when I get home and I will try to figure something out.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Dave, I appreciate your help on this. Since you can see them and feel them in person, I would welcome any suggestions that you have. Just judging by the pictures, I really like the section of the middle board that you zoomed in on (the dark area) and the top few feet of the board on the left. Do you think the back inclusion on the left board can be filled with a dyed epoxy to seal it up and make a smooth flat surface? About how many board feet would it be for the area shown in 20010101_05 and a section of the left board from the top of the bark inclusion to the bottom of the bark inclusion (that would have to be cut into two pieces to fit into a game box, but I'm trying to figure out total BF right now). What are your thoughts on those two sections? Good choice? Or in person can you see something that would be better?

jmurray

Reaction score
First name
josh
well guapo heres that little cherry out in the sunlight. its too big to run through my planer and im over squirting dry wood with water. you can cherry pick from this slab and the crazy maple. 5$/lf cherry, 10$ lf maple.
cherry is 1.5" maple is 2" thick. IMAG1577.jpg IMAG1579.jpg IMAG1580.jpg IMAG1581.jpg

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
More pictures of the boards. I don't like the piece in first picture the bark inclusion goes all the way through and it will be apt to split. It also has some dark staining that makes it look dirty. 20010101_13.JPG

20010101_13.JPG

20010101_03.JPG

20010101_04.JPG

20010101_06.JPG

20010101_07.JPG

20010101_08.JPG

20010101_09.JPG

20010101_10.JPG

20010101_11.JPG

20010101_12.JPG

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Spruce, those are some great options! Can I get three 16" length slabs from the following boards? Maple.jpg

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I can do that, they will all except perhaps number one need a little width trimming to fit the 11 3/4 wide box and I will need to thin them to just under 1" thick to get 3 in a box. I make that a total of just a tad under 4 board feet. The shipping is $15.30. A even $50 will work for me and I will cut them 23" long to fill the box solid full that should give you some usable drops from your cutting boards.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Wow, that sounds great to me, Dave! I would prefer to keep as much live edge as possible, but I trust your judgement on making the cuts. I really appreciate this!

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Josh, I LOVE that maple slab that you have posted in the other thread, but for now I think I am juts going to pick up some cherry if you don't mind. How much would it be for the sections of wood from the start of your tape to the 18" mark in the last two pictures?

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
andrew ill dig some nice wide ones out tommorow with some crotch feathering and some intense figure like the one on the left. the spalted one in the middle is only 8 in across i got some primo boards out there ill get you some picks you can have 2 for 40.00 shipped ill throw in another for you on me
Hey Duck, were you able to get any pics of the boards?

Treecycle Hardwoods

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Greg
just an fyi I did not forget about you. I was on the hunt last night when I tripped over my skid loader bucket in the dark and took a digger. Spent the rest of the night with my leg up getting iced. I am all good now should have pix up for ya later today.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
OUCH! No worries Greg... hope you're okay!

jmurray

Reaction score
First name
josh
Guapo I will cut you the 2 best 18" pieces for 15 bucks plus shipping. but its slightly more than 12 wide, if you wanted live on both sides flat rate won't work for us. also it won't be planed or flattened, even if it was narrow enough to go through the planer I don't send bark through. I use a router to flatten such pieces, then orbital sand. If you want me to cut a couple 18s I will, just wanted you to get something you could use. It is a pretty piece of wood.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Any idea on how much it would cost not to go flat rate? It might be easiest to just trim some off of one side, but I hate to lose one live edge too. Thanks for the great price!

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
andrew ill dig some nice wide ones out tommorow with some crotch feathering and some intense figure like the one on the left. the spalted one in the middle is only 8 in across i got some primo boards out there ill get you some picks you can have 2 for 40.00 shipped ill throw in another for you on me
Duck, do you still have those boards?

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I got no idea, I will cut and weigh. I'm guessing under 20
Josh I just opened a fedx account I think it is going to work out well on the pieces a little too large for FRB's I am shipping a couple of 4' long slabs later this week for less than the cost of 2 LFRB's.

jmurray

Reaction score
First name
josh
Josh I just opened a fedx account I think it is going to work out well on the pieces a little too large for FRB's I am shipping a couple of 4' long slabs later this week for less than the cost of 2 LFRB's.

Do you have to open an account, or is it something i can do in a fedex store?

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
You can ship from the store without an account but you will get a discount if you have an account. I shipped some wood as a walk in customer a while back and felt I got hosed. If I put in the weight and size of a package online using my account then at least I know up front. I think the discount for ground shipments is 8% that could add up pretty fast.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Spruce, true story... I got the slabs today. I was trying to keep the box whole so that it would be easier to transport back to Houston. That box was so full, it took a 3 lb. sledge and a piece of scrap 2x2 to get the first slab out of there! Those are some truly great boards and will make some great cutting board/serving tray gifts for my family. Thanks for taking care of me!