ENDED Ironwood?

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Oh, are those ever beautiful!
Please give me a minute to check my stash and see what might suit your production blank needs.
Thanks!

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
@Jonkou Thank you for your patience! I snuck out to the steamy garage and snapped a few photos. Please bear with photo quality and presentation. If you like what you see, I can cut them closer to your ideal measurements and then see how many we could get in a LFRB. Sorry, no moisture meter. Three types of wood surfaced in my search:

1) Big Leaf Maple (I believe). Cut down many years ago, supposedly waxed upon cutting down. When sanded, they lose the orange appearance and are rather blond. I've got several big chunks of it, more than is photographed. All clean and free of knots, cracks, etc. I think it would look good as a basis of your dying / staining techniques.

IMG_2692.jpg IMG_2693.jpg IMG_2694.jpg

2) 150-ish year old pine, salvaged from historical building dismantling in Galveston afew years ago. Photographed is a sample; I've got a few beams at the bottom of the stack well in excess of your size requirements. If interested, I can pull out, take photos, etc. Another candidate for your colorful dying? Smells delightful when sanding!

IMG_2695.jpg IMG_2696.jpg

3) Two spalted Texas hackberry blanks, ~7" square x 3+" thick. Natural edges and any cracks should be carved away on the lathe. They were cut in January, but are surprisingly light! Perhaps my hot garage acts as a good kiln to bake moisture out?

IMG_2685.jpg IMG_2686.jpg IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg IMG_2689.jpg

Also have local, fresh cut (after big storm last week) Pecan and [likely] Osage orange / bois d'arc. What's your interest?
My feelings won't be hurt if you like what @Eric Rorabaugh posts more. He always has amazing stuff!

Thank you for making the DIW available. Love it!

Edit: If Jonkou does not some of these posted, I can make it available to others in another thread. Happier to trade wood than money. Thx!

Last edited:

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your efforts JB, have lots of maple and antique wood is plentiful here, pine, hemlock, oak and chestnut are most common. I’m picky on the production blanks, looking for defect free, grain balanced, precision cut and sealed if green. If you can fill the box with hackberry we’ll do it.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Ok, I appreciate the honesty.
I only have the two blanks of hackberry. Would you feel it's enough to constitute a trade for the Ironwood?
If you want more hackberry, I can refer you to the good people who provided it to me.
Thank you.

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can get hackberry here too, just don’t have any on the shelves now. Have to pass on two. Thanks.

IMG_6352.jpeg

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
@Jonkou I understand completely. I hope you find what complements your collection.
Thanks!