**ENDED** Liquid Amber (aka-Sweet Gum)

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
I have three small and odd shaped pieces of liquid amber, the approximate sizes are shown in the photos against the ruler. The wood is soft and punky and would probably benefit from being stabilized before being used. I don't have any means for stabilizing wood so I thought I would offer these pieces for trade for some wood, maybe something that I don't have already. I may consider trading for your unused tools if its something I don't already have. If you need more photos don't hesitate to ask. Please note, it may take me a few days to get to the post office to mail this wood as I have mobility issues and its some times hard for me to get around in this winter weather. Thanks.

Piece 1
piece1a.jpg

piece1c.jpg

piece1d.jpg

Piece 2
piece2a.jpg

piece2b.jpg

piece1b.jpg

Piece 3 (has a huge crack through it)
piece3a.jpg

piece3b.jpg

piece3c.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Pretty stuff! What are you looking for in trade? Species, size, etc. Tony

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm open to species. Most of my wood inventory consists of plain uninspiring wood local to the Pacific Northwest. As for sizes, I enjoy doing bowls (even small ones), lidded boxes, small vases and some spindle work. I don't do calls, peppermills, pens or anything else that requires buying kits. Hope that helps.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I'm open to species. Most of my wood inventory consists of plain uninspiring wood local to the Pacific Northwest. As for sizes, I enjoy doing bowls (even small ones), lidded boxes, small vases and some spindle work. I don't do calls, peppermills, pens or anything else that requires buying kits. Hope that helps.

I've got some 2" thick Narra if that is something you might want. Tony

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
As I'm new to woodworking I've never heard of Narra. What size do you have?

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
If there is room in the box with the liquid amber I'll see if I can find a piece or two of other local woods, maybe blue spruce or something.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Here's a picture of a stopper I made from it. I've got some pretty wide stuff, probably 30" long. I can check tonight. Tony
20161003_201750.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I've also got some 1/2" thick Mesquite that makes pretty boxes.

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
Tony, I'll have to pass on the mesquite as I don't do flat work. If it was something thick enough to turn I would really consider it. Let me know what dimensions you have for the narra. with 2" thick I could do a platter and if I'm lucky have some left over for some spindle turning.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
No problem. I thought when said lidded boxes you meant flatwork. I will get back to you this evening. Tony

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Well, I can give you a couple blanks that are 1-3/4" thick, 5-1/2" square. I can give you some spindle blanks in addition to that, but that's as big as I've got in blanks. Tony

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
You know, I'm going to be appreciative with whatever you can send. I just want to make sure you know that these pieces I have are irregular in shape as shown in the photos and that you read the part about them probably needing to be stabilized. If that's good with you then pm me with your address and I'll reply back with yours.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Let me post some pics tomorrow just so you can see them before you commit, I certainly don't want your first trade to go badly! Tony

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
That sounds good Tony. But I would also feel really bad saying I want to see what else is available, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That sounds good Tony. But I would also feel really bad saying I want to see what else is available, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

By all means, if what I show is not to your liking, say so. The basis of this forum is friendship, at least to me. I would much rather have you get what you want than settle for something that doesn't work for you. Tony

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
Just a history on the wood. I was visiting my mother in Ft. Bragg California and her neighbor had this stump sitting back among the trees. The tree had fallen a decade ago and a local wood worker took everything except for the stump. My mother's friend offered me the stump. It was sopping wet and about 80% of it was rotten and thrown away. This is a portion of what was left.

Tony, I'll wait a day to see if anyone else is interested but I would still like to see your photos when you get them. There's no hurry.

D.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
In case anyone is wondering, this trade is still open. If you have interest, post what you have and let him pick. Tony