**ENDED** Need Veneer Vendor Recommendations Please

chicago

Reaction score
First name
Phillip
I have decided to take the plunge and cover my next jewelry boxes with walnut burl veneer. No, I'm not sure what I'm doing, but since I work alone in my basement no one will ever be the wiser. Ha!

What I would like to have are some solid vendor recommendations. I have learned quite a bit hanging around Joe Wooderworker and that has helped me quite a bit.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone may be able to provide.

JMC

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've dot a few small crotch slabs I could slice you some veneers from, no burl though.

chicago

Reaction score
First name
Phillip
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
davidgiul said:
What size and thickness?

I am crafting two rather large jewelry boxes for my wife. The final dimensions are as follows:

19" (width) x 11" (height) x 12" (depth)

The veneer pattern for the face of the boxes should match as perfectly as possible. The sides, top and back are not as crucial, but they should all be from the same lot.

Front Surface
Will be bookended down the vertical center
The veneer pattern for both boxes should be from the same lot

Rear Surface
Will be bookended down the vertical center
The veneer pattern for both rears should be from the same lot

Sides
Will NOT be bookmatched down the center
But the veneer sheets for the sides should be from the same lot so the box sides will look as similar as possible

Will be bookended down the vertical center (front to rear)
(Note. A star-burst or kaleidoscope affect is not out of the question for the top)
The veneer pattern for both tops should be from the same lot

Therefore, I will be needing the following veneer pieces:

Front: 4 - 10" x 12" veneer sheets (from the same lot) for the box front

Rear: 4 - 10" x 12" veneer sheets (from the same lot) for the box rear

Sides: 4 - 13" x 12" veneer sheets (from the same lot) for the box sides

Top(s): 4 - 9" x 13" veneer sheets (from the same lot) for the box tops
(If we do the kaleidoscope affect, then we will need different veneer sheet dimensions which we can discuss later)

As best I know, the thickness should be 1/42".

I hope all of this makes sense.

This is my first time around with veneering so bear with me if my thinking is incorrect.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Phillip- in case you do not know who Phinds is- he has the hobbithouse web site- you should check it out. PM him-david is right he has a ton of veneer. Ane we will know what it looks like cause you are going to post pictures----RIGHT!!!! :yipee::yipee::yipee:

chicago

Reaction score
First name
Phillip
Mike1950 said:
Phillip- in case you do not know who Phinds is- he has the hobbithouse web site- you should check it out. PM him-david is right he has a ton of veneer. Ane we will know what it looks like cause you are going to post pictures----RIGHT!!!! :yipee::yipee::yipee:

LOL! You got it!

OK, I will check out the hobbithouse right now.

Thanks for keeping an eye on me.

chicago

Reaction score
First name
Phillip
bigcouger said:
:no dice. more please::no dice. more please::morning2: I recommend phinds, I get my Veneers come from another sorce but phinds has a outstanding asortmant of veneers to, I hope you have a collal press ready for veneering, I do big table tops an I use a veneer vacume press because they ar big
Roy

Man, you sure know how to hurt a guy. Those are some beautiful pieces you've put together.

What kind of substrate do you use? (if you don't mind my asking?)

Yes, I will send him a PM and see what he says.

I took a look at his website and a lot of what he has displayed has been sold. I am sure he has much more though.