**ENDED** Pink Ivory

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
This was a Cliff log which he said is Pink Ivory. The three shorter blanks are 4-5/8" and the longer ones are 5-5/8" all are 1-7/8" square. I'm sure you could read that from the runny Sharpie though right! Misted with DNA hence the runny Sharpie.

All four sides below. I'm asking $75 shipped flat rate. Please let me know if I'm way off base on price. I think I'm good based on what I have seen.

Side A
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Side B

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Side C

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Side D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I'm VERY doubtful that this is pink ivory. See if you can clean up one of the faces and perhaps an end grain and compare to the pieces on my site. you may not even need to do any cleanup. The color is way off but that could be because these are mostly sapwood piece but the graininess looks very wrong to me.

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Hey George, it might help to clean up a couple of the sides so we can see the grain better. It almost looks like a mahogany in some of the pics.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
No possibility it's pink ivory or mahogany although the graininess did lead me to agree w/ Andrew until I saw the end grain.

Looks familiar. I'll poke around later.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@phinds Thanks for looking. Im not trying to pull a fast one on anyone. I asked Cliff when he sent me a box of goodies what that piece was and he said Ivory. I havent seen him around in a long while so I guess he isnt going to be a help on this one. Thanks everyone! I guess we will put a hold on it until we have a better idea what it is.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Looks a lot like andiroba but I'm not convinced that's what it is.

Hey, @Mr. Peet , what say you?

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
The sap wood grain reminds me of macadamia but the heart wood is pink.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
Looking through your wood ID page it looks a lot like Cancharana to me.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I have some of the same wood I believe. I would have to double check at home but am Pretty confident. I got it when i seen him awhile ago or the time before. I do know it was cut in Florida but can't remember the name He said offhand.

GeorgeS

Reaction score
First name
George
I don't think it's macadamia either.
Its definitely not Macadamia, way wrong color. I just meant structurally the grain is similar in the sap wood.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Looking through your wood ID page it looks a lot like Cancharana to me.
Not a wood I'm familiar with (you'll note that all of the pics on that page are web pics: I don't have a sample) but I'm not really seeing the similarity. BUT ... you've got the wood in had so are in a better position to tell.

dvoigt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Derek
99% sure it is Panama rose wood (dalbergia tukarensis). I got a few pieces from him previously

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
99% sure it is Panama rose wood (dalbergia tukarensis). I got a few pieces from him previously
Very unlikely that this is Dalbergia tucurensis but I can't rule it out for sure without seeing the end grain more clearly.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I have some pieces that look similar. I was told it was dogwood... :whatever:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
If this wood that George has is a match for what @gman2431 has that he was told was cut in Florida, maybe @Blueglass could help with the ID with his familiarity with Florida woods.

That said, in the face grain pics it reminds me a little of the Cuban Mahogany I've been working with lately, though the end grain seems a bit off for that.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
If this wood that George has is a match for what @gman2431 has that he was told was cut in Florida, maybe @Blueglass could help with the ID with his familiarity with Florida woods.

That said, in the face grain pics it reminds me a little of the Cuban Mahogany I've been working with lately, though the end grain seems a bit off for that.
More than a little bit. No way this is mahogany, as I said in post #6 when Andrew suggested the same thing.