**ENDED** Smoke Tree Burl

Tim Carter

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I'm looking for some smoke tree burl. I believe the tree grows in the western carolinas and Tennessee. The burl is a beautiful golden color with very tight grain patterns. I'd like to get pieces that are 6 x 6 x 1 or larger that can be resawn for inlay but I'll take smaller pieces. Burl caps would work as well-the edges of the inlay don't need to be regular. See the attached pic for an idea of what the inlay looks like.

TT-Silky Oak, Red Mallee burl, Lapis.JPG

pinky

Reaction score
First name
John
Are you talking about chittam burl? That inlay looks pretty red if that is what I think you're looking for.

Tim Carter

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
pinky said:
Are you talking about chittam burl? That inlay looks pretty red if that is what I think you're looking for.

Yes, I believe it's also called chittam. I posted the picture as an example of the shape and type of inlay work, not the species of wood I'm looking for. the inlay in the picture is manzanita burl.

Tim Carter

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joe Rebuild said:
Very cool :good2: is that silk oak ?

Yes, it's a lazy susan about 18" in diameter made of silk oak. The inlay is manzanita burl, surrounded by lapis.

pinky

Reaction score
First name
John
Tim Carter said:
pinky said:

Yes, I believe it's also called chittam. I posted the picture as an example of the shape and type of inlay work, not the species of wood I'm looking for. the inlay in the picture is manzanita burl.

One of the hardest burls to find. It grows on the roots only when limestone is present. Usually takes dynamite and a federal permit to harvest. I'm still kicking myself when I could have got about 8 of these root balls with numerous burls on each one. Hadn't ever heard of it at the time and walked away.:dash2: I later obtained about 200 pen blanks from the same guy. I have given alot of these pens away letting people know they have one of the rarest woods in the world. Beautiful stuff! Good luck with your search.

http://i45.Rule #2/albums/f52/pinkygalini/bottlestopper006.jpg

http://i45.Rule #2/albums/f52/pinkygalini/chittamburlsierra004.jpg

BurlsorBust

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Couldn't agree more with pinky. I have a small piece saved. Everyone who has it saves it, period. I saw a piece 6x4x1 sell for around $250 and that sold in less than a few days.

Good luck.