• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

**ENDED** Snakewood log must go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lignum

Reaction score
First name
George
OK, as my profile and posts make clear, I am not an actual woodworker, I just like wooden objects. Snagged the snakewood piece I'm offering here about five years ago, back when I thought I might one day carve something that wasn't about to be placed on a dinner plate. All it has done since I got it is rest on my living room floor.
This log is about 45 inches long, 43 pounds, approximately 4 inches in diameter and has some surface cracks on one side but is solid through the center. I will put up better pictures when it stops raining here in Atlanta — sun's reemergence is slated to be Christmas Day at this writing — and I can get nice sunlit shots. (Brick is added for perspective in shots below.)
What do I want for this chunk of Piratinera guianensis? How about $550, including shipping? I have some price flexibility, naturally, but one thing I cannot do is cut this piece. I'll sell it whole or keep it. Merry Christmas to you all.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Lignum

Reaction score
First name
George
Took some more shots today. I can't really get close-ups of the entire log that display the figure well, so I'm posting close-ups of sections of this piece. I won't claim I've gotten every square inch of the log in these new photos, but I'll happily post more shots on demand until everyone can be more or less satisfied they've gotten a good overall impression of this piece.

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

Kevin

Wood is good.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Edit: cancel my place I just looked at the logs and @woodintyuuu has already seen it and didn't speak up so count me out. :-)

Last edited:

Lignum

Reaction score
First name
George
I did not realize until this moment that only one of the high-res photos I added today came through to the post in the size I intended. Will re-post photos full size:

IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG

Kevin

Wood is good.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
You need to show clear end grain shots. End grain is the window into the snakewood log's soul more than other species. A fresh cut end grain picture of both ends is a must when buying snakewood. .

Kevin

Wood is good.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I see in the thread that 2 guys said no.. yet in the thread that I see there is no line.

I'll bite. What does that mean?

Lignum

Reaction score
First name
George
Will post photos of the ends of the log, if that's what's being requested, tomorrow. I'm more than happy to fulfill any other member photo requests or otherwise answer questions.
Cheers!

Kevin

Wood is good.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Ah so, papa san. Sank you velly mush faw eenterlpa tayshun . . . . :cool:

Erik, if you look at my post it says "Edit" meaning I had said something before. I should have left what I said but no one has mentioned this before so in the future when I edit I'll leave the old post also and just add to it after the edit. I had asked George to put me in line because . . . oh what the heck I have what I said in the logs let me got fetch it . . .

Here's a screenshot Erik:

edit1.jpg

I don't know if you can read it but it says "I'll get in line in case woodintuyuu wants it. He may or may not he has a great source for it but not sure so please put me in line."

Right after I posted that, it dawned on me that I shouldn't be speaking for someone else so I took a quick look at the logs (not the snake logs - the forum logs) thinking maybe Cliff had already looked and lo and behold sure as Jesus walked on water Cliff had looked. So I figured if he had looked he must not have been interested since he didn't get in line. And since I didn't want to be on the hook myself I quickly bowed out.

Clear as mud? :wacko3:

woodintyuuu

Reaction score
First name
cliff
Ah so, papa san. Sank you velly mush faw eenterlpa tayshun . . . . :cool:

Erik, if you look at my post it says "Edit" meaning I had said something before. I should have left what I said but no one has mentioned this before so in the future when I edit I'll leave the old post also and just add to it after the edit. I had asked George to put me in line because . . . oh what the heck I have what I said in the logs let me got fetch it . . .

Here's a screenshot Erik:

View attachment 67049

I don't know if you can read it but it says "I'll get in line in case woodintuyuu wants it. He may or may not he has a great source for it but not sure so please put me in line."

Right after I posted that, it dawned on me that I shouldn't be speaking for someone else so I took a quick look at the logs (not the snake logs - the forum logs) thinking maybe Cliff had already looked and lo and behold sure as Jesus walked on water Cliff had looked. So I figured if he had looked he must not have been interested since he didn't get in line. And since I didn't want to be on the hook myself I quickly bowed out.

Clear as mud? :wacko3:
thanks guys and as all previous to me have mentioned endgrain is everything with this stuff.

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
I think you ought to keep it, cut it into pen blanks and call blanks then give members a discount if they buy 5 or more. JMPO.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
A fresh cut end grain picture of both ends is a must when buying snakewood.

Those don't help at all George might as well not posted them. We're trying to help you sell this but you have to cooperate.

BurlsorBust

Reaction score
First name
Eric
I have never seen such a large piece so well priced. This is a real steal for a serious buyer. No burl though?!? Haha.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Depending on figure it seemed priced right.

Most everywhere else is 20 bucks a lb for the stuff from what I've seen on the WWW

Kevin

Wood is good.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I have never seen such a large piece so well priced.

We don't know how it is priced until we have an idea how deeply figured it is. And we won't have an idea on that until we see freshly cut end grain images. Even then there's no guarantee it won't run out along the log but there's rarely any guarantees buying wood. All you can do is gather as much info as possible. Fresh cut end grain is the missing ingredient here . . . . .

Lignum

Reaction score
First name
George
If I understand you guys correctly, what you would like me to do is slice off perhaps a quarter inch to half inch from each end of the log, then send shots of the freshly revealed grain underneath. I don't own a bandsaw, so fulfilling that request will take a few days and some additional trouble and expense to execute. Needless to say, I'd rather not have to undertake this additional step, but I will if that's what it takes to get this thing sold.
Any suggestions on what sort of outfit — lumber dealer, cabinet maker, etc. — I should drag my log to make these cuts? As many of you know, snakewood makes a very hard piece of timber, so I can't take to just anyone.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.