Epoxy Help

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
I tried to cast a block in a 4" PVC pipe I kept it warm and this is what I got: I know the holes are air pockets, I did not use a pressure pot. It seems it is very brittle and does not want to cut either with carbide of HSS. What am I doing wrong.

PS the wood pieces from thus site.
John

20210508_133211[1].jpg 20210508_133225[1].jpg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I don’t know much about casting, but I’d worry about heat build up in a thick epoxy pour like that... I wonder if that is part of why the voids occurred?

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Which epoxy are you using? Very few are rated for 4 inch. I suspect doc is right. I have blown out holes and such like with heat. If it has cracks in it as well, it is almost certainly too thick too fast.

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
I agree with Doc, what epoxy are you using. A deep pour type may give you better results. You could also do
a multiple layer pour that might work out better if not using a deep pour. Did you use a release agent on the pvc
and did you leave any epoxy inside the pvc, on the release? I would try a multiple layer pour and use a butane torch
on each layer to remove bubbles. Good luck

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will find out which epoxy it was - I thought of multiple pours but thought it would leave hard lines, especially with different colors.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
You will need a deep pour epoxy that is rated for 4 inch depth and possibly put it in front of a fan to pull heat off it the first 24 hrs. You should be using a 72 hour product for something this depth...