• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Equipment for getting started

TurkeyWood

Reaction score
First name
David
Late in life I discovered that I love turkey hunting. Then I discovered I love turkey calls. My fascination with turkey calls has led to a love of wood. I collect pot calls and strikers mainly because I seem drawn to turned objects. If I wanted to start turning some wood for strikers what tools would be necessary for me to begin with? Obviously a lathe.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Beyond the obvious lathe, chisels, and accessories to hold your work pieces, I'd highly recommend calipers and notebook. Take a few existing calls and measure everything to form baseline dimensions and your starting point. Then make a few, tweaking the dimensions and taking detailed notes along the way to get a sense of what results come from your subtle changes in dimensions.

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Sounds like Steve has put you on a good starting place. Other places to get good advice are the Turkey Call Forums.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
The basic chisels will get you started. As far as accessories, you will want some form of chuck for turning the pot calls. There is some kinda "classroom" post in here on pot calls if I remember correctly, it would show tools and holders... cant rightly remember who worked the demo.

TurkeyWood

Reaction score
First name
David
Beyond the obvious lathe, chisels, and accessories to hold your work pieces, I'd highly recommend calipers and notebook. Take a few existing calls and measure everything to form baseline dimensions and your starting point. Then make a few, tweaking the dimensions and taking detailed notes along the way to get a sense of what results come from your subtle changes in dimensions.
Ha! I’m already measuring calls with a caliper and I weigh pot call strikers on a digital scale. I record the information. I’m in the data gathering stage I guess.

TurkeyWood

Reaction score
First name
David
The basic chisels will get you started. As far as accessories, you will want some form of chuck for turning the pot calls. There is some kinda "classroom" post in here on pot calls if I remember correctly, it would show tools and holders... cant rightly remember who worked the demo.
I really want to make one-piece strikers but I’m interested in pot calls too. I imagine one lathe could be used for both? I feel like I need a band saw, a drill press and a belt sander too maybe.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
I make A fair amount of one piece strikers and a good chuck is definitely helpful. I used to make them between centers but their was just to much deflection for my liking. A bandsaw is helpful but not a must. A drill press is more important in my opinion….and a good set of forstner bits.

Last edited:

TurkeyWood

Reaction score
First name
David
I make A fair amount of one piece strikers and a good chuck is definitely helpful. I used to make them between centers but their was just to much deflection for my liking. A bandsaw is helpful but not a must. A drill press is more important in my opinion….and a good set of forstner bits.
Thanks. What kind of saw can I get by with to cut up wood?

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Thanks. What kind of saw can I get by with to cut up wood?
I guess it depends on what you present and future needs might be. In my opinion, it’s hard to beat a good table saw with a shop built sled. I make a little bit of everything from game calls to furniture and My table saw is my most used piece of equipment followed by my router table.