EWT Negative Rake cutter review

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
One of my suppliers has been advertising this cutter and I do turn a lot of acrylics so decided to spring for one and see how well it worked. They were really pushing it for inlace acrylics which are notoriously brittle and like to chip out.

Gave it a whirl and was pleasantly surprised. Gave a nice clean cut and no tearout/chipping, left a really nice smooth surface for sanding and polishing. Found the sweet spot for its use was between 2200 and 2300 RPM. Turned 18 or 20 Seam ripper handles without having to rotate the cutter, no noticeable loss of sharpness. I'll keep count and see just how many items I can get out of one cutter to figure out if it's cost effective or not over time.

Now for the downside, it is almost 20.00 for one, with the negative rake I don't really see any way to freshen it up with a diamond card once it gets dull.

2020-01-01 13.05.09.jpg 2020-01-01 13.05.34.jpg

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
So, just curious. Have you tried just tipping a neutral rake (typical EWT) cutter into a negative rake orientation?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I think that style has a bevel on both sides.

Maybe you could make a quick jig to hold it at an angle to sharpen it on a diamond wheel?

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, just curious. Have you tried just tipping a neutral rake (typical EWT) cutter into a negative rake orientation?

I have and it just isn't quite the same. To match that angle you really have to come up a fair ways with the tool rest so you're cutting at the center line.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Thanks for posting Colin, I've been wondering if they were good.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I have and it just isn't quite the same. To match that angle you really have to come up a fair ways with the tool rest so you're cutting at the center line.
Yea, I can see where not the same. The negative rake scraper or insert would maintain that negative rake while transitioning from tip to sides, just holding in a negative rake angle would be fine till you transition from tip to side.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
It looks like it's not available for the smaller tool. I'm not all that familiar with Easy Wood tools but got some so my grandchildren can get started on the lathe to make some 4H projects. I have the smaller sized tools, I got the kit of three tools with the nine inch handle. It looks like the negative rake cutter is for the larger tools?

Last edited:

CalumetWoodworks

Reaction score
First name
Keith
It looks like it's not available for the smaller tool. I'm not all that familiar with Easy Wood tools but got some so my grandchildren can get started on the lathe to make some 4H projects. I have the smaller sized tools, I got the kit of three tools with the nine inch handle. It looks like the negative rake cutter is for the larger tools?

I have the smaller EWT's and have the neg rake heads for them. You should be able to find these online or at local retailer.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I have the smaller set of three also,they are out there,I get mine from the rockler store.psi has some,they say they are compatible with 3/8 easy wood toold

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Thanks, I'm not familiar with all the Easy Wood tools available. Ill take a look at Rockler.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
I got one for Christmas, I tried it out on a olivewood bowl and really enjoyed it. I'll probably run some acrylic blanks this week end see how it goes