Ex-30 scroll saw help

Discussion in 'Scrolling Section' started by wannabe scroller, Aug 26, 2017.

1. wannabe scroller

wannabe scroller Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    alim
    Hello all.

I have had this saw for nearly 2 years. From the beginning I found that the blades don't stay in the clamps. I have not broken this many blades on any machine. I had the basic Delta 16", Dremel, and DeWalt 788. But the real problem appears to be that when I stack cut 3 pieces of 1/4" oak ply; the bottom piece either comes out larger or smaller then the top piece. It is so frustrating. Initially I had taken it in for a checkup and was told that there is nothing wrong with the machine. Actually I was told that because my saw is not on a concrete floor that is why I am having these issues. I cut the wooden floor and laid down concrete. Lo and behold ... Still the same problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

2. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    • Like Like x 1
  3. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    @wannabe scroller
    I am not sure about your blade holding problem, but the different size on the stack cuts sounds like your blade is cutting at an angle.
    Try a small square on the table and against the blade to see if your table and blade are at a 90 degree angle.
    What type of blade holder do you have? A picture may be of help so others and myself can see what you are dealing with
    Dave
    @woodtickgreg @pvwoodcrafts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  4. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member Forum Moderator

First name:
    Greg
    I might think the different sized cuts where due to a lack of tension, this could be due to the blade clamps not holding. I like a lot of tension on my blades when I'm scrolling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    I too use a lot of tension , seems to give me a more controlled cut.
    I have found that if I am cutting a small circle or even cutting a circle In the waste area to make a turn that when making the turn fast ( as in the feed rate )that I usually will end up with a cut larger on the top than bottom. So when making cuts that are going to show on the project or are critical cuts such as puzzle pieces sliding box tops etc. I tend to slow the feed rate way down and let the blade do the work especially in thicker wood
    Dave

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  6. pvwoodcrafts

pvwoodcrafts Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    have you tried PGT blades?
    The blade holders have a set screw on opposite side you can adjust , or they may just be worn out. Judy wears out a lot of things on her scroll saws
    If you have more problems with it call Ray at Seyco.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
Current Time: 3:57 AM