**ɛռɖɛɖ** Examples

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have multiple slabs -20- of the elm. What size do you need. I have 4/ and 8/4.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Let’s go 8/4. Something about 14 inch diameter. If you have something live edge all the way around that would work. If not I can cut.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Mike, I'm interested in some pics and prices of the elm as well. 8/4 preferred. Especially if anything like the piece George turned...

Rich P.

Reaction score
First name
Richard
Is this elm Burl you hot back in the fall and showed us pictures? I would be interested in a piece to cut into pen blanks. Is it dry?

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I’m not really sure what a spin station does but, dang, that is a pretty one.

Does that piece have siblings?

Mike, I'm interested in some pics and prices of the elm as well. 8/4 preferred. Especially if anything like the piece George turned...

Is this elm Burl you hot back in the fall and showed us pictures? I would be interested in a piece to cut into pen blanks. Is it dry?

I will answer all your questions at once. about 3 yrs ago I bought a few pieces of Green american elm- below

00q0q_2wwrRSUQxl4_600x450.jpg

I had some one wanting me to make a custom jewelry box - Thank goodness by the time it was dry - the buyer had gone elsewhere- I worked off prints and schedules my whole adult live- Trying to find my inner child in my retirement sure as hell does not include prints and schedules...
Back to the elm- it was planted in Willamette Valley in the 60's- The 1860's - finally the Dutch elm disease got it. or something did because tree got removed. Fast forword to Jan. He contacted me- He had stacked in his warehouse and buried them. He was now going out of biz. I bought whole pile dry almost 30 slabs. In his log yard is the butt log all burly -about 11 ft long about 7-8 foot in diameter - 5 -6 tons. If you only knew how many times I have convinced myself of not buying this log- I have no way of dealing with such a log buttt....

@Tom Smart a spin station is where you spin your fancy turned top. some are illuminated from underneath. all of these slabs are siblings. Most of the 2 inch slabs are in excess of 20" so I cannot run through planer. They are very plain jane looking rough. I will demonstrate that today.

@Sprung as I said above- all are brothers to one above- all from same tree.

@Rich P. It was Jan. They are all very dry.

burl the wonderment of nature below is a 1" planed and misted- straight out of planer-sold, again I have a bunch of these. What a tragedy to lose all the elms....

27751449_877243132481384_7458207236330290995_n.jpg

27654757_877243355814695_7978426138372288971_n.jpg

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
PS- to add I love planing these- so drab and dull rough - they come out with so much figure and color- it is like christmas.....

Foot Patrol

ABS Apprentice BladeSmith
Reaction score
First name
Scott
@Mike1950 If you are taking orders on the burl Elm, please PM the price of a 8/4 slab. These would look good as a knife handles.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
@Mike1950 If you are taking orders on the burl Elm, please PM the price of a 8/4 slab. These would look good as a knife handles.

2" slabs are +- 65" long by 20" wide= about 15-20 bd ft I have sold 4 of the 2" slabs- ironically all shipped to east coast- 275-$350 depending on size and figure. most 1" slabs are a little excess of 1"

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
2" slabs are +- 65" long by 20" wide= about 15-20 bd ft I have sold 4 of the 2" slabs- ironically all shipped to east coast- 275-$350 depending on size and figure. most 1" slabs are a little excess of 1"
Are the 1” slabs shorter?

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
As much as I'd love one, a 2" slab of the size range you mentioned is unfortunately out of my budget.

However, I am definitely in for a 1" slab.