Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Well I'm a little bummed about this one. This may not mean much to any of you guys but for those of use who scroll, it is a huge blow as far as getting equipment goes. I had one of my youtube viewers ask me about getting a scroll saw. They really wanted to get an Excalibur. He found a local supplier who said that they had them in stock and he purchased an EX-21. When it arrived, he excitedly put it together and then noticed the name on the side of the saw. EXCELSIOR. What the heck is that? He contacted me and asked what was going on and in my efforts to help anyone I can, I called him on the phone. He was quite distraught, thinking that the supplier had duped him and sent him a very expensive knock off. I looked at the pictures of the saw and thought "if this is a knock off, it's one hell of a good one".
I ended up calling the sales rep for Excalibur that I have dealt with for years and spoke with him. Turns out that about 3 years ago, the Canadian division of the Excalibur, through General International Tools, was bought out and that the Excalibur was now being manufactured by King Canada. They are using all the same specs and tooling to make the scroll saw but it no longer carries the Excalibur name due to copyright laws etc. My sales rep told me that although it is the same saw, he couldn't speak of what kind of quality control measures this new manufacturer had in place and that because of that, he couldn't vouch for the quality of the saw.
It just kind of sucks that a brand that I've been loyal to for years has been down played by big business. I just hope that they have kept the same QC standards and that the product is still one that someone can be proud to own and use. I also hope that mine doesn't need repair parts any time soon because I'm not so sure that the parts made by King Canada will be as compatible if their QC isn't up to spec.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That does suck Ken. I've never owned one, but they've always had a stellar reputation for quality. Tony

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Well I guess I need to give this some time to play out. A new scroll saw was on my short list and the Excalibur 21 was the one I wanted. Excelsior is a name brand of a lathe at Rockler, I wonder if there is any ties there? I hope not because that is a cheap pos. Excalibur always had a stellar reputation for quality and performance, let's hope that continues. At least it's being made in Canada and not China, I hope.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I guess I need to give this some time to play out. A new scroll saw was on my short list and the Excalibur 21 was the one I wanted. Excelsior is a name brand of a lathe at Rockler, I wonder if there is any ties there? I hope not because that is a cheap pos. Excalibur always had a stellar reputation for quality and performance, let's hope that continues. At least it's being made in Canada and not China, I hope.

I get the feeling, but I can't say for sure, that it is probably assembled in Canada but the parts are made overseas just like a lot of the tools that we see in the stores today. I hope that I'm wrong, but I fear that I'm not.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
A cut above. It's in his signature....turn your phone sideways to see it....
I think it's turn your phone sideways, Pat your head and rub your belly in a circular motion while clicking your heels and saying there's no place like home.:sarcastic:

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
I too had hope of owning one in the near future. Have plans to retire in a short time and getting a new scroll saw was on the list and the only saw on the list for now was the Excalibur 21. I guess I wait abit to see how it all plays out. Would you keep us informed if you hear any more details?
Thanks
Dave

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
I too had hope of owning one in the near future. Have plans to retire in a short time and getting a new scroll saw was on the list and the only saw on the list for now was the Excalibur 21. I guess I wait abit to see how it all plays out. Would you keep us informed if you hear any more details?
Thanks
Dave

Will do Dave. I will pass on any information that I can get my hands on.

pvwoodcrafts

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Judy has been using an excaliber for about 3 years. Loves it but when the motor went caput we called Ray at Senco to order a new saw. Apparently Excaliber is making Jet scroll saws and hasn't had time to keep up their own inventory. Ray asked us to try a Jet. She loves it, especially the new blade clamping system. Can't tell any difference between the two as far as quality goes. Oh we're getting a new motor for the Excaliber too.
For those that don't know , my wife Judy scrolls for a living. 6 to 8 hr. a day six days a week. Has had dewalts , Hegner, Excaliber and now Jet. Excaliber and Jet are her favorites. We also have a Hawk that I occasionally use and I like it pretty well except for the blade clamping system

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I didn't know that jet even made a scroll saw, I gotta look into that.

pvwoodcrafts

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Sorry I had a mistake in my reply.
Judy's favorites were Excaliber and Jet. She hated the Hegner and would skin me if she thought I posted that she liked it much less being her favorite.
Any way I did change my post to say Excaliber and Jet and hope she never finds out

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I googled the Jet, it's basically a Excalibur painted white, so it is still available.

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
@pvwoodcrafts Mike, I'm curious why she doesn't like the Hegner? The only experience I have is with a crappy craftsman 16" and my Hegner 18V made in 1988. What am I missing out on?

pvwoodcrafts

Reaction score
First name
Mike
First off is the blade clamping system, time consuming and awkward
second is the teeny tiny table.
next we had to send it to Advantage twice because the blade was not angled properly , angled back on top so it wasn't aggressive.They said we weren't using the proper blades, Judy has been running a scroll saw for 10 years and knows her blades. also is using these same blades to triple her production later
Second time we sent it back they as much as told us that the saw was operating the way it was supposed to, which may be fine for someone cutting 1/8 in plywood but was worthless on 3/4 hardwood. The dewalts did a fine job on that size wood but just wouldn't hold up doing it every day. Judy's production tripled when we got the excaliber. She also does most of her cutting on angles. The flat table with angled blade was extremely helpful.It was not a good 18 months while we were fighting the Hegner.
Of course this is only our opinion/experience. I'm sure there are lots of people that are happy with their Craftsman and dewalts and Hegners

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
For what it's worth I have used the dewalt and liked it. But I did want to get the excaliber. When you get the jet version of it I hope you post her opinion of it and keep us informed.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
JET tools are not available here in Canada. I guess it's a good thing that my Excalibur EX-30 is still purring like a kitten.

pvwoodcrafts

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Update on Judy's saws
We were lucky enough to get one of Seyco's new saws. It is first on Judy's list now. She has over 500 hours on it and it has been flawless. We have sold her Dewalt and her Jet is also for sale. We are keeping her Excaliber , Seyco and the Hawk. The Seyco is top notch and coupled with Ray's expertise , knowledge and customer service it is the one she gives the thumbs up on.