Fall Turning Challenge multi-axis

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Nice job John! Torching it really added to the piece, well done!

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Good to see some entries coming in! The belt on my lathe is on it's last leg, so I'm hoping to be able to get one more project in before working on a belt change. Put some belt conditioner and WD-40 on everything last night and we'll see what this morning brings in about 15 minutes after the coffee kicks in. Could be turning? Could be disassembly?

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I thought I was going to enjoy following this progress. Didn't realize until looking at some of the pieces how bad this was going to be like a cheese grater on my geometric OCD (CDO, for those of use that must have everything alphabetized also). I'm not sure I can look at this thread anymore.:wonky:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
OK, I will have an entry! This was my second practice piece this morning after the first blew up. Not planning on it being my entry, but it may be depending on what happens this afternoon....

Picture1121201356_1.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Thanks Tony, right now, the stem is just a piece of featureless elm that I've been using for practice. Hope to get a better stem turned in cherry or Apple this afternoon.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looking good Tim! Do you hollow the cup at the beginning, or the end?

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Thanks Tony, right now, the stem is just a piece of featureless elm that I've been using for practice. Hope to get a better stem turned in cherry or Apple this afternoon.
The design is really nice and the cup is spot on!

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Looking good Tim! Do you hollow the cup at the beginning, or the end?
You give me way more credit than is due! The cup was made from a redbud branch a couple of weeks ago :lol2:.

Originally, I was going to make it all one piece, with a cup turned first. That is probably the way that a pro would do it, but I was too chicken to try as I had not previously turned a cup before. I also had a redbud branch that was pruned just a month or so ago that I wanted to try a live edge with. Don't know, but turning the whole thing with wet wood, probably wouldn't have turned out very well.

You would have to turn a cup first if you were using one piece. By the time you get the stem mostly done, it flexes so much, you have to be really careful turning the base, with only enough tail stock pressure to keep it from whipping.

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
Definitely copied from Barbara's work. One of her articles I read used this type of goblet as an example.
I knew the stem sweeps were hers, Got to know her thru the Virginian Woodturning Symposium and I got her to demo for our club. She brings loads of sample three axis turnings. Very nice person 👍🏻

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I knew the stem sweeps were hers, Got to know her thru the Virginian Woodturning Symposium and I got her to demo for our club. She brings loads of sample three axis turnings. Very nice person 👍🏻

That was one of the things she recommended for anyone delving into multi axis turning. Create samples of the various combinations and take copious notes when you start switching things around. So many different combinations you'll never keep it straight if you want to reproduce anything.