Fastening to cinder block

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hi, I want to put peg board on 2c or 3 sides of this cinder block chimmney. the the block is between joists so I can fasten to wood at the top but should i fasten to the floor or can I fasten directly to the block, what and how. The weight will not be to heavy, mostly lighter tools thanks Mike

chimmney.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Peg board should have a frame behind it. This way it let it sit away from the blocks giving the pegs room to be inserted and the frame will keep it from bowing. Since it's width is narrow, just a perimeter frame will be sufficient. You can attach it to blocks using some liquid nails, or if you have one, a hammer drill and some concrete screws.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Oh, if you make a frame to do 3 sides, you can use the 4th side to connect the frame together at the top and bottom, thus eliminating the drill,screws and glue....

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks never thought of concrete screws, how would I use all four sides so as not to use screws thanks Mike

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Is the chimney in use, if so for what? Does it have a liner? Does it get hot? We finally had to replace our old cinder block chimneys with stainless steel. If it's in use I'd be careful, but that's just me.

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
its only use is the hot water heater, and it is lined with stainless steel

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
That's good. Ours was for wood and in time creosote came right through cracks. I lasted a good long time but stainless is great.