Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Favicon Feedback

Discussion in 'Bugs, Problems, & Other Issues' started by Kevin, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Kevin
    If you have Wood Barter bookmarked on your bookmark bar or elsehwere, where the favicon shows, is it showing for you or do you just get the generic bookmark image? For those that may not know what a favicon is, it's an icon for your favorites folder and bar. Here is the WB favicon showing on my bookmark bar where the green arrow points...
    favicon1.jpg

And 3 radio stations I listen to that do not have a favicon enabled and their bookmark icon is just a generic page icon . . .

favicon2.jpg

If you don't have WB bookmarked please do not vote. I need to know who it is working for and who it isn't. Please let me know what device and browser you use. For example a device is a iphone, android, laptop or PC etc. A browser is like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari or Opera etc.

Poll Closed

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Mine is not. Using firefox on a windows based pc. I acually had an upgrade, and after that it was gone. I will check tomorrow on my chrome.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  3. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Nope... I'm running SlimBrowser on a Windows machine for default, it runs on the IE Browser Engine.

Tried it on Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Comodo Dragon. Don't know where my Firefox went, somehow disappeared when I upgraded Windows.

Not showing in the Address Bar, or on the Favorites Bar.

4. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    Chrome browser on a Win 7 PC and a Win 10 PC and neither of them show the Favicon. Also not showing on My phone, Chrome on Android

5. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Nope. IE v11, Desktop, Windows 8.1. WB loaded to Favorites Bar. Chuck

6. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Kevin
    It has to show something if you added it. Whether or not it is the generic page or the "W" favicon it will show something - you do realize that?

You may be saying that the "W" is not showing even though you have bookmarked the site - is that it?

7. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    Okay guys I am going to make an adjustment and everyone can refresh their page. You may have to clear your cache/cookies. It might take a day or two to be visible they say.

8. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    The favicon is not showing in the address bar, nor in the favorites bar, nor in the quick fill bar on SlimBrowser... only the generic icons show. Same holds true in the other browsers as well, nothing but generic icons in the address bar or favorites bar .

Considering you only have 1 vote saying it's working thus far, you might want to have that individual clear Temporary Internet Files and check again. It appears your favicon is not working on either the IE or Mozilla Browser Engine, in multiple browsers running on each, and given Marc's statement that it disappeared on his browser after an update, I'd guess temporary internet files were cleared in his update. If in fact that's on your computer, it could be calling it from your web folder. I've seen stranger things happen.

9. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    You may have missed post #7.

10. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Yep, it popped up while I was typing post 8, and I've now cleared Browser History, Cache, Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and rechecked, and you still got problems dude. Pain in the a$$ when something as simple as a favicon refuses to work. Been down that road. Good luck with it!

11. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Now you got it working! Favicon popped up everywhere in SlimBrowser.

Likewise now seeing it in IE and Comodo Dragon.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  12. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    Like I said - maybe you keep missing post #7 where I said it can take some time. It can take a while I guess it's like propagation on a smaller scale.

13. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    No, I didn't miss your comment in post 7, nor have I ever experienced a magical 2 day delay in a favicon popping up on a browser after clearing cache, and temporary internet files, using CCleaner. The delay is typically experienced while the browser overwrites cached paged files. When you dump everything using CCleaner, the favicon typically pops up right away.

There are a number of solutions found here as well... http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2208933/how-do-i-force-a-favicon-refresh

One or two of which provide code you can execute on the site to force refresh of the cached file on viewers' computers. While they're not guaranteed to work in all browsers, they may help. Renaming the Favicon file is typically the easiest method, as the browser sees the new filename and rewrites it to cache.

14. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    It shows on my pc using Firefox...and also my android phone using Boat browser....

edit....it also shows on my android tablet on the browser tab.

15. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Rocky I am familiar with both your linked site and the suggestions found there. It's a well known site for Admins.

16. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    My Favicon is standing tall, of course I mostly use my desktop.....

17. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    I been playing around with different designs. Don't worry the one I have up now will be gone tonight or sooner whenever I have time to make another one - it sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JR Custom Calls

JR Custom Calls Gobble Gobble Full Member

First name:
    Jonathan
    Not bookmarked, since I always have a tab open. But I noticed a new logo in the tab today.

19. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    I like the W from the logo...simple and the same...

20. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    Me too but with all the different mobile devices a site really needs more than one. It's complicated - nothing like it was just a short time ago. I designed one for each of the various devices apple/droid/pc/mac but haven't implemented them yet. Try to get time tonight.

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 1:58 AM