• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Favorite Wood Species

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
African blackwood has been my favorite for a long time. Wonderful to turn, takes fine detail better than any other wood I've tried. Polishes up and impervious to water damage.

wade

Work with Your Brain, Hands, and Heart = Artist.
Reaction score
First name
Wade
How can it be anything else?....Madagascar Rosewood Dalbergia Maritima- Only problem is its going to all be made into Ugly Chinese Furniture. If they don't own it yet, they will soon. No law in the world that can keep the Chinese from wiping this species off the face of the earth. Shame Madagascar Rosewood dalbergia maritima.jpg

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Considering how quickly MR turns almost to a black color, it's understandable how it could be anything else. I bought a piece years ago. Looks pretty for a short time. I won't bother buying it again.

wyowoodwrker

Reaction score
First name
nick goodart
My personal favorite is Olive, the color contrast and smell is the best to me.....yeah it has drawbacks. Drying it is not easy but it's worth it in my opinion. Second would be cherry, specifically cherry burl.

cionow777

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Any wood that has chatoyance - such as curly Koa or curly Maple. I know that isn't one so I will pick curly Koa.