♪♫ εηdεd ♫♪ Figured Crotch Walnut for Pot Calls

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, it would be close to that. The problem with these beams, as you can see in this photo, is that there are season cracks and mortising cuts from their use as floor joists. So I have to cut around all of these defects to give you perfect solid wood. Some pieces have more season cracks than others and some have crushed edges from being dismantled from the old mill. So it's a lot of work to cut these into usable boards.

IMG_1515.JPG

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
I understand that. I'd be interested in just a chunk of beam. I can only resaw up to 8" though. Could you cut it in half width wise? One piece 6" and the other what's left?

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Sure, let me work on it tomorrow. Will need to get help moving a beam into cutting position. I will definitely fill a box for you and give you the biggest pieces I can. Thanks.

Also, the way I re-saw this wood is to pass it on its edge through a table saw to cut as much as the saw blade can reach. On my 10" Unisaw, I can saw 3" from each edge. I then pass it thru my big bandsaw to finish cutting the rest that the table saw blade couldn't cut. This wood is so dense, it would be very difficult to just re-saw it on a bandsaw. And the blades gum up really bad. I normally will make three or four cuts and then run a piece of white oak through the saw which has an amazing ability to clean pine gum off saw blades. And, don't ever think about running this pine through
a drum sander. It will gum up any sandpaper within seconds of sanding. I normally work it with hand planes and scrapers and only sand when absolutely necessary. It does hand plane beautifully. And you can use the shavings as a base for potpourri. Smells great.

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
Sounds good to me, no rush. I don't have a drum sander so I don't have to worry about that. I belong to a hand tool SIG so I have plenty of hand planes. lol PM me with the cost and I'll get you paid. Thank you.

Bill

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Let me do the work and send you photos for final approval before you send me anything. I never take down payments or pre-payments until the customer is happy.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Sounds good.
I worked on the longleaf pine this morning with my wife and daughter's help. That stuff is heavy.

I cut off a section of the best beam and sawed off the best side that has few checks and only a minor surface gouge. After surface planing it, it is still a full 3" thick. Here are pictures of the process and the end result. Two drop dead gorgeous slabs of the best virgin pine you're see anywhere. The rift angle of the grain will give you very nice boards with a consistent pattern if you piece them up. I also sealed the ends since these are fresh cuts. I doubt they will check after 200 years of being cut but I always like to seal fresh cuts just in case there is any long dormant stress.

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

Last edited:

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
Thanking about it I'd love to get a piece 15" W x 65" L x 3" T for the top of a Moravian workbench. I'll have to see what I can find near me.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Thanking about it I'd love to get a piece 15" W x 65" L x 3" T for the top of a Moravian workbench. I'll have to see what I can find near me.
I saw a Moravian workbench made with it at Old Salem in North Carolina. Heavy as truck.

I would suggest finding a company near you that dismantles old factory buildings, especially old woolen mills that you had up there. There was lots of this old pine used up there and I'm sure there are people recovering it. It is expensive because it's hard work to remove all the nails and spikes and clean it up for sale. The waste factor is also high because of all the mortices cut to tie in the major structural framework.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Larry, I'm leaving this open because it seems you're still doing business on it. Let me know when you're done. Thanks! Tony

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
Good Morning Larry,

I received the package yesterday but was busy and never got it out of the mailbox until last night. I'm very satisfied with it. It smells great and I haven't touched it with a hand plane yet. Thank you very much.

Bill

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
I also looked around and there are several places that are selling "reclaimed beams" but half of them don't even know what kind of wood they are. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Bill

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Good Morning Larry,

I received the package yesterday but was busy and never got it out of the mailbox until last night. I'm very satisfied with it. It smells great and I haven't touched it with a hand plane yet. Thank you very much.

Bill
Glad you like it. That old pine is amazing. Enjoy!

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I also looked around and there are several places that are selling "reclaimed beams" but half of them don't even know what kind of wood they are. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Bill
You might have to visit the businesses with the beams just to see what they have. This old growth pine will stand out now that you can see an example of it in person. Sometimes it's good to deal with a person who doesn't know what they have.

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
That may be true Larry but I haven't been doing this for very long relatively speaking so I'm not sure I could tell the difference myself.