Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Finally starting my house

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by sprucegum, Oct 15, 2014.

1. sprucegum

sprucegum Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Dave
    We are planning to build a new house on a piece of land we bought a couple of years ago. The area where the house will go is covered with low grade trees. A friend is in the logging business big time and told me if he ever had a down week when his equipment was not too far away he would cut and process the trees into fuel chips. He called yesterday and said he was on his way, by dark last night he moved a monster grapple skidder, a feller buncher, and a chipper onto the site. The loader slasher to feed the chipper is coming today. He gets the chips and will save out the few good saw logs for me and I get my lot cleared without lifting a finger or paying out money. Hope to have some pictures to post tonight.

• Like Like x 8
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 5
  2. Foot Patrol

Foot Patrol ABS Apprentice BladeSmith Full Member

First name:
    Scott
    Nice!!! Cant beat Free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    That's the way to barter!

4. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    Home for lunch here is a few pictures. He will not get started on the house lot today as we decided to clean up a couple of acres of low quality stuff first. It is mostly dead and dying tamarack and balm-of-gilead , there are a good number of small maple and cherry trees that will be left to grow. They should grow much faster once the other trees are gone. The feller buncher can reach out and shear the cull trees then place them in piles for the grappel skidder to grab.

20010101_17.JPG

20010101_01.JPG

20010101_06.JPG

20010101_07.JPG

20010101_08.JPG

20010101_09.JPG

20010101_10.JPG

20010101_11.JPG

20010101_12.JPG

20010101_13.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  5. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    a few more

20010101_05_01.JPG

20010101_01_01.JPG

20010101_02_01.JPG

20010101_03_01.JPG

20010101_04_01.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  6. SENC

SENC ... Full Member

First name:
    Henry
    Well done with the pics, Dave!

7. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Sure have to sell a lot of chips to pay for that kind of gear!!!! Nice spot for house.

8. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    My estimate of the replacement cost of the equipment on my project is in the 2 million dollar range. Chips are worth around a grand/box trailer full and they will produce around 10 load on my project. I doubt they could make it on chips alone, most of their jobs are large and produce a good variety of logs from chips to high quality veneer logs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    Here are a few more pics of the land clearing. They are taken at quite a distance as the last thing these guys need is someone getting in the way. The faller buncher cuts the trees and stacks them in bunches for the grapple skidder. They are then pulled to the loader slasher. The slasher is simply a big circular saw the enables the operator to trim the more valuable saw logs and pulp from the chipper wood. The higher value product is set to one side and the chipper wood including all of the limbs is fed into the chipper. The chips go to a wood burning power plant, the pulpwood goes to a paper mill, and in this case the saw log are staying on site for me to mill. Nothing is wasted even down and half rotted trees are picked up and chipped. The chipper burns around 10 gallons of fuel/hour and can fill a box trailer in about 1.5 hours. The load delivered to the power plant is worth $1000-$1200.

20010101_10.JPG

20010101_01.JPG

20010101_02.JPG

20010101_03.JPG

20010101_04.JPG

20010101_06.JPG

20010101_07.JPG

20010101_08.JPG

20010101_09.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    A friend but he is not working for free normally he would pay something for the standing timber but I am giving it to him in exchange for some very careful cutting and the few saw logs. He will not get rich by any means but will better than make expenses and keep himself, his son, and one employee busy for a few days that otherwise would have been down time. I always love a deal where everyone gets what they want and no money changes hands.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    Dave what species are those trees? Spruce?

12. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    Very few spruce. Mostly tamarack , balsam fir, red maple, and cherry. Yes we did run cherry through the chipper, please don't hate me for it the devil made me do it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    This will probably end up being about a 5 year project. I would not even be clearing the land this fall if the opportunity to get it done cheap and easy had not come along. I feel that I need to sell something to raise money to start this project in earnest and they ain't beatin down the door to buy in this economy.

14. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    That ain't right. You might have 7 years of bad luck now. I hope not, but chipping cherry is liking pissing on an elf's shoe - very bad luck.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. HomeBody

HomeBody Member Full Member

First name:
    Gary
    That is some awesome equipment. I've never seen any stuff like that around here. You wouldn't need it for corn! When I win the lottery I'm gonna buy me some toys like that. Gary

• Like Like x 1
  16. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    My friends son runs the feller buncher, he is about 25 years old and started learning how when he was 13. He can be tracking swiveling the cab and cutting trees all at the same time. He can cut a good size tree and carry it away in the upright position and lay it where the skider can grab it. If he does not keep the tree balanced perfectly it can destroy the boom on the machine causing many thousands of dollars in damage. The thing never stops moving except to cut larger trees, smaller ones are cut on the move. He will cut several smaller trees and use the hydraulic fingers on the cutter head to keep them upright until he is ready to place the on the ground. His mind must be thinking about 10 trees ahead to cut as fast and efficiently as he does.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    never heard the elf thing before, man you look short in that picture you posted in the PM thread,:sarcastic:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    I like to make stuff up as I go along.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sprucegum

First name:
    Dave
    Four years later it is finally happening. Insulated radiant slab house with attached garage. So far I have pretty much worked alone setting forms for the footings and frost walls. I hired a concrete contractor to fill my forms because it is just too much for me to handle alone. The same contractor will pour the slab when I have it ready to go. I have some help coming in a week or so and hopefully we can get a roof over it before snow flies.

33022004_2136087799739269_2268897309691478016_n.jpg

thumbnail_P6121312.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 5
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
  20. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Dang what a house! What are the dimensions?

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 6:45 PM