Finally starting the shop

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lot's of ways to get to the same place. I'm doing 2 x 6 twenty four OC with 1 inch blue board on the outside to reduce thermal bridging. I am using rockwool bats in the walls because it is r-23 . Only 3 medium sized windows and I will blow enough cellulose into the attic to make it r-60 or more.

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Yes your right. Never thought of 24 OC when I built. I wonder if that would have been code in my area. Would have been easier since I used 4x8 siding. I used tyvex house wrap but it was a pain to install. With your blue board and taped joints you get the same thing.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
We don't have to worry about code but I believe 2 x 6 twenty four OC meets Boca for single story construction and it greatly reduces thermal bridging. I'm sure my native cedar sills don't meet code but I will personally warranty them for 100 years. I made them a little thicker to get a 8'6" ceiling with 8 foot studs. Lumber yards around here can't get pt lumber due to the Chinese virus.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Let's see here, 2 days after slab poured, walls are up. I believe Dave should be working in his completed shop Sunday if the weather holds. Any bets, anyone??? ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Let's see here, 2 days after slab poured, walls are up. I believe Dave should be working in his completed shop Sunday if the weather holds. Any bets, anyone??? ........... Jerry (in Tucson)
Well the weather got us today, been raining off and on all morning and the afternoon doesn't look any better. I always say doing carpenter work in the rain only accomplishes three things. You get wet, and ruin your chalk line and tape measure.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@sprucegum , question from the unknowing; I am seeing a lot of "green" wall boards going up on the outside of houses and apartments around Colorado Springs but don't have anyone to ask what it is? I am used to seeing OSB and tyvex (or some other house wrap). Would you, or any of the other followers know what this stuff is? Am looking at construction stuff for our new property and just want to do what is best these days.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
@sprucegum , question from the unknowing; I am seeing a lot of "green" wall boards going up on the outside of houses and apartments around Colorado Springs but don't have anyone to ask what it is? I am used to seeing OSB and tyvex (or some other house wrap). Would you, or any of the other followers know what this stuff is? Am looking at construction stuff for our new property and just want to do what is best these days.
It is a product that gives you wall sheathing, house wrap, and insulation all in one. Some swear by it others at it. Installation is slower but if properly installed it's probably better. I did some research on it when I built my house and chose not to go that route because of cost and not much local inventory.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@sprucegum , Dave, talking about supplies, I keep wondering if I need to find a “depressed” housing market someplace, order my material, and drive the 1000 miles, load it, and bring it home. This area is nuts right now!!! We are still trying to jugle what we want to build and are really struggling!!! Thanks for sharing the shop build!!

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
City people are putting deposits on houses around here sight unseen. Guess they think black gnats, and ticks in the summer and twenty below in the winter are better than where they are from. Oh yeh I forgot arse deep in mud march and april. Falls are actually pretty nice.

drycreek

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Where I’m at here in Alabama seller list his house and people are making a 15 to 25 thousand offer above asking get a contract and wait for the appraisal to negotiate a final price. Houses that are on the market over a month usually have something bad show up on the inspection.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Set the trusses this morning. Setting them by hand with a center wall would be a tough job for a two man crew especially when one of them is a little older and slower. IMG_20200722_092732598.jpg IMG_20200722_092917211.jpg IMG_20200722_103401458.jpg

IMG_20200722_103655058.jpg

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@sprucegum , Dave, mind confirming something for me? Instead of asking, I am going to state what I think I see so maybe I can prove to myself I am learning. In your last picture, it appears your second top plate is set back the width of a 2 x 4. Your outside truss has an OSB sheet on it; I think that is to make up for thickness; and you will put a vertical 2 x something (set on edge is what I mean by vertical) and fasten that to truss and top plate to anchor everything. Am I in the ballpark????

Just trying to learn; we are moving forward on some of our plans. However you are doing it, congrats!!!

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
View attachment 190831View attachment 190831
@sprucegum , Dave, mind confirming something for me? Instead of asking, I am going to state what I think I see so maybe I can prove to myself I am learning. In your last picture, it appears your second top plate is set back the width of a 2 x 4. Your outside truss has an OSB sheet on it; I think that is to make up for thickness; and you will put a vertical 2 x something (set on edge is what I mean by vertical) and fasten that to truss and top plate to anchor everything. Am I in the ballpark????

Just trying to learn; we are moving forward on some of our plans. However you are doing it, congrats!!!

What you are seeing is more like a third top plate. It is actually not a plate, it's a 2x6 that overhangs the inside to make a nailer for the ceiling and because it is set in exactly one and one half inches it also makes a nailer for the outside trus

IMG_20200722_120024879.jpg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Dave, it's coming along very nicely - nice to see your progress. I like the overhang area. If I ever get to build my own shop from the ground up (unlikely, but a guy can dream), I would like to do an overhang along the length of the shop. It would be a great place to store lumber as it dries and set up some chairs or benches to sit outside.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
When I was building houses with my dad, we did the same thing with the 2x6 for a sheetrock nailer. Or for whatever we were putting on the ceiling. Oh what memories! Thanks for sharing

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I finally have a water proof roof. Seems like nothing comes through on time these days the roofing came a whole week late. It comes out of Canada and they run one truck a week into Vermont and for whatever reason they did not run last weeks load. It came thurs. afternoon and we put it on Friday.

116108942_675975559663956_8084727080649782662_n.jpg

Last edited:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I ordered ready seal stain for my trim 2 weeks ago and still don't have it. Kind of a bummer because I would like to stain the soffit plywood before it goes up. Much easier and less messy.
The good news is the electrician is roughing it in today and I have my drywall guy lined up for next week. We are using a 100 amp 20 circuit sub panel fed by a underground line from the house. Should be plenty of power for my little shop. The big stuff will have a dedicated circuit and the walls will be loaded with outlets. I am using LED strips on the ceiling, he did that in my garage and it is like a operating room. This will be a huge improvement over my old under powered dark shop.

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
Do you mind posting some specifics/pics on the led strips? I’m looking for some good lighting options for my shop. Nice job by the way. Everything is looking great.