Finger tops make great gifts

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
We have a section called The Classroom that I think would be an excellent place for you to do a couple of tutorials please

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Beautiful tops! I think it’s fantastic to take something so simple and humble as the spinning top and take it to such a refined finished product.

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Do you buy the tips or make them yourself?
When I first started making finger-tops, I made them from a single piece of wood, which included the tip. But after talking to collectors, I found that they really wanted a tip that would stand up to heavy use, as well as add "bling" to the look. So I switched to steel ball bearings, stone and other hard materials. A lot of high end CNC machined metal finger tops use ruby crystals for tips. The tip material I like best are small stone cabochons (rivets) used in leather craft, like these: Stone Rivets

If you decide to use steel balls for tips, consider magnets as a design feature...
2018_2TopDisplay_1a.jpg

Last edited:

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Those are works of art for sure! Is there a ratio that you follow for the proportions?
I don't have any strict rules for finger top design...whatever looks good works for me. The only thing I really pay attention to is trying to add some kind of texture in the upper handle area, so you get a better hold on it when giving the top a spin.
2016_blackwood_10b.jpg