Finger tops make great gifts

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
We have a section called The Classroom that I think would be an excellent place for you to do a couple of tutorials please

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Beautiful tops! I think it’s fantastic to take something so simple and humble as the spinning top and take it to such a refined finished product.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Do you buy the tips or make them yourself?

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you buy the tips or make them yourself?
When I first started making finger-tops, I made them from a single piece of wood, which included the tip. But after talking to collectors, I found that they really wanted a tip that would stand up to heavy use, as well as add "bling" to the look. So I switched to steel ball bearings, stone and other hard materials. A lot of high end CNC machined metal finger tops use ruby crystals for tips. The tip material I like best are small stone cabochons (rivets) used in leather craft, like these: Stone Rivets

If you decide to use steel balls for tips, consider magnets as a design feature...
2018_2TopDisplay_1a.jpg

Last edited:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Our turning club makes tops as a demo piece, but nothing, nothing like that!!! Wow, those are cool.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Those are works of art for sure! Is there a ratio that you follow for the proportions?

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those are works of art for sure! Is there a ratio that you follow for the proportions?
I don't have any strict rules for finger top design...whatever looks good works for me. The only thing I really pay attention to is trying to add some kind of texture in the upper handle area, so you get a better hold on it when giving the top a spin.
2016_blackwood_10b.jpg