Finial for TXPaulie

steve bellinger

Reaction score
First name
Steve
[attachment=2318][attachment=2319][attachment=2320][attachment=2321][attachment=2322][attachment=2323]You said something about how i turned finials over in my other thread. Well as i was working on one a little bit ago, thought i'd take some pics as i went along.How as i've never had any one but the internet to help me. This is just how i do them.I'm sure others do them different, so take this with a grain of salt.:pleasantry: This one is holly as i love how it turnes. I do start off between centers then put in a chunk. Well here's the pics hope it helps.
Steve

002 [800x600].JPG

001 [800x600].JPG

003 [800x600].JPG

005 [800x600].JPG

011 [800x600].JPG

016 [800x600].JPG

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Very cool Steve we love tutorials. That's an exquisite piece of work there. :good:

Is the vessel walnut?

:i_am_so_happy:

steve bellinger

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kevin said:
Very cool Steve we love tutorials. That's an exquisite piece of work there. :good:

Is the vessel walnut?

:i_am_so_happy:
Kevin the HF is a piece of that wood i was asking about over in wood id.Still not sure what it is, but it sure stinks when being turned and it's real stringie

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Very cool! I gotta try to do smaller finials, love them, I think they really top the piece, no pun intended. That tip is tiny! That hf may smell bad to the nose but it's candy to the eye:good:

txpaulie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Hey Steve, thanks bunches!:clapping:

Using "mini" tools..?:pleasantry:

Looks to me like you do a good bit o' the sanding as you get to the desired form, then continue on down towards the base..?:good2:

Much appreciated,

p

steve bellinger

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
txpaulie said:
Hey Steve, thanks bunches!:clapping:

Using "mini" tools..?:pleasantry:

Looks to me like you do a good bit o' the sanding as you get to the desired form, then continue on down towards the base..?:good2:

Much appreciated,

p
yea man i do most of my sanding as i go along, i found it's a lot easier.As far as the mini tools i use both.The mini tools i have i won from penn state, in a turning contest. Not sure if you were part of it ,but DKMD also won. It was beauty and the beast, over at WTA.

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken