Finish vs Polish

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
I think a polish is not as durable and therefore not really a finish. A finish on the other hand is more durable and may or may not have a polish on top. Make sense or am I off base once again?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Could a Polish polish be considered a finish?

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
David, by polish are you referring to a friction polish?

If so, in some ways it is not as durable as CA. However, it is a finish that you can easily keep up - apply a light coating of Renaissance Wax or other microcrystaline wax every once in a while. It will still patina with use. They are typically shellac based. A CA finish is more durable, per se, but once it's scratched, there's no easy repair outside of disassembling the pen and refinishing and scratches/scuffing show real easy in a gloss CA finish. Also, I've been doing some research and have been finding that CA finishes may not hold up in the long term - yellowing is a possibility.

Right now I'm using both friction polish and CA and finishes, depending on what I'm wanting for a finish on the pen I'm making. However, I'm also currently exploring other finishing options, such as poly or lacquer for a finish that will possibly have longer longevity. Might give Les' poly dipping a try. Or I might use a brush on finish and a slow speed dryer I have and give that a go.

The reality I'm finding in finishing pens and other small turnings and in researching finishing alternatives, there may not be a "perfect" finish that checks every single box on the checklist of what you may be looking for in a finish. It may come down to which finish has the most desirable traits that you're looking for, along with negatives that you can live with. Just my opinion from my limited experiences.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
There's probably some pissed off people in Finland right now.

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
So if your Finnish can you use polish and if your Polish can you use finish. Or is that considered taboo? I gotta know:wacko:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Yes you can use either unless the item has a lot of Czechs.

I guess you also want to avoid Russian the application too quickly or you may have to follow up with another coat cut with some Japan drier.

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Wait for warm weather -- it won't dry if it's too Chile.

(I know we Congo on for days, but Belize, no more ...)

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Belize, no more ...)

Oman, NorWAY buddy. Kuwait one minute - Israel funny you keep Gabon about puns while strumming your Qatar, but Iraq my brains while I drink this chocolate Malta wondering how you think you're such a Saint Helena... Kenya Spain that one to me you Laos or do you need Somoa information?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
You guys are making me cry!

It's okay Togo there my teary-eyed buddy even though Uruguay. Oranjestad you could just twirl your Bhutan in your Minsk coat to take your mind off things. I'm Ghana stop this now . . .

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
I wanted to read about the different ways the collective minds of this group use finish techniques. What I learned from this thread is my assumption of the "collective minds" was perhaps a little bit, HI...