Finishing Cocobolo - Pointers anyone???

wade

Work with Your Brain, Hands, and Heart = Artist.
Reaction score
First name
Wade
Even though I've got a lot of Cocobolo, I've never really successfully put a finish on anything I've ever made out of it. I've buffed a really nice sheen into Cocobolo, and that's about it. Does anyone have any recommendations on finishing such an oily wood? What's the secret to this? It is such a beautiful wood. Actually one of the prettiest there is in my opinion. But the secret is the finish.

APBcustoms

your every day wood addict
Reaction score
First name
austin
Everybody has trouble with it some people use acetone then finish it. My style is ca glue even works well on flat work if it's really thin. Also beeswax and shellawax works well

Blueglass

Reaction score
First name
Les
The couple things I have done have required supreme patience. The CD rack I made took 3 months for the first coat of Tru oil to dry. Then one month, then a couple weeks...

The drum with thinner accents still took a few weeks for the first coat to dry.

I've read water based finishes are easier?

Foot Patrol

ABS Apprentice BladeSmith
Reaction score
First name
Scott
I like it in its natural state. I hand sand to 2000 - 3000 grit and then buff. I love the feel of it in a knife handle.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I like polishing it as-is and taking advantage of the natural oils, but I've successfully used a tung oil finish (do a search here on tung oil and you'll find several application methods and tips) and have also done CA finishes. For CA finishs over oily woods, I wipe down with acetone after sanding and before CA application.

HomeBody

Reaction score
First name
Gary
I used Tru oil on acetoned cocobolo once and it turned rancid after a year or so. Gary

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
For Coco I'll sand it to 3000 and then buff it bare and then apply some Mylands Hi-Build or even just a little carnuba wax.

Mike Jones

Reaction score
First name
Mike
For knife handles, pistol grips, tool handles, and similar projects, cocobolo can stain the hands red if it is not sealed.
(And some people get an allergic reaction to it also) Any of the traditional wood finish types can be used if you wash the surface before coating. Any solvent that cuts oil/grease can be used for the wash.

The PenSmith

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Cocobolo is an oily wood, I have used two methods to get a good finish. One is wipe the wood with Acetone, it cleans the wood of all the oils and allows your finish of choice to dry. Method two, as mentioned above, is CA glue, it provides a great barrier between the wood and the finish. In both cases I used lacquer as a topcoat and it's working wonderfully and lasted much longer than other finishes.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
A couple of coats of dewaxed shellac and you can then put on poly or more shellac with no trouble. You HAVE to start with dewaxed shellac though. Acetone may work some of the time, but I wouldn't count on it all of the time.