Finishing Pear

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
I have enclosed a picture of a pear piece I just completed. There is a band of turquoise. It is whiter than it appears in the picture. I don't have any preconception for the finish, so whatever you think.
John 20210330_172254.jpg

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frank
I don't know if I want it to turn yellow. Is that my only choice.
John

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
No. A bit of uv protection in your finish will hold the lighter color that you see now. Grab you a scrap to try the finish on first. There are several stabilized oil finished that contain uv protection. Odies oil and mono rubio are two that come to mind.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
John, lots of choices, all depends on the look you want. If you want an amber look, could use an oil (tung, walnut,etc) or oil based poly in your choice of sheen.

If you want a water clear finish with no amber tones, could use a spray can lacquer or use a water based acrylic. You could also use shellac. Shellac will give a very, very slight amber look, but would only be noticeable if you had a shellac finished piece sitting next to an unfinished piece. I use shellc on all my maple snowmen, and don't think it gives much color at all.

If it were my piece, I'd probably use some spray lacquer as that will be water clear, but will also impart some chatoyance to the piece that is lacking in water based acrylic sprays.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Clear polyurethane or urethane should not make it turn yellow- this is what they use on commercial guitars so it keep it looking like new and transparent to let the natural hues of the wood comes through. Shellac will, especially with an amber tint will look more yellow. Nitrocellulose lacquer over time will turn yellow.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@Johnturner are you sure that's pear? Those big pores don't look like any pearwood I've ever seen, and the color is unusual (but maybe not impossible) for pear.

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I bought it - a while ago it was labeled Pear - I'm open suggestions

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
When I bought it - a while ago it was labeled Pear - I'm open suggestions
Most likely ash or hackberry but possibly some other wood. Check out my site for those two woods and see what you think.

Last edited:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
^Yes and possibly catalpa or sassafras (you would smell it though as it has a root beer/sarsaparilla aroma). That is definitely not pear wood as the color is way off and the surface grain as well as the pores are too define.

Last edited: