Finishing Question re: WipeOnPoly

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Just completed a bowl 0f spalted apple. I would like it to be a glossy finish. I have put on 2 coats - the wood seems to be drinking the finish in. I know I have several coats to go with sanding between coats. Am I doing this right? At some point can I buff this on the Beal System? Will I eventually get a gloss if I keep adding coats?

PS I am using MinWax Wipe on poly - Gloss.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Depending on your dry time between coats it might not seal the wood and then continue to soak in. How long are you going between coats? I've had pieces I've applied a few coats to and let sit for a couple weeks and then go back and the latter coats build on top then. And yes, you can buff it with the beall system.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I use General arm-r-seal WOP. Make sure you cure it in a warm spot. But the spalt can be tough to get sealed. It soaks like a sponge. It will get gloss though...

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
If you want to shave a little time off, you can seal the wood with shellac before building the gloss with poly. You can get there with poly alone, but the shellac dries a lot faster which allows for multiple coats in a shorter period of time. Since you've already started with the poly, you'll probably want to let the poly dry completely before using the shellac.

I'm betting 2-3 hours isn't enough between costs of poly. I usually go overnight or longer between poly coats, but when in doubt, check the can for drying times.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
If you want to shave a little time off, you can seal the wood with shellac before building the gloss with poly. You can get there with poly alone, but the shellac dries a lot faster which allows for multiple coats in a shorter period of time. Since you've already started with the poly, you'll probably want to let the poly dry completely before using the shellac.

I'm betting 2-3 hours isn't enough between costs of poly. I usually go overnight or longer between poly coats, but when in doubt, check the can for drying times.

2 or 3 hrs is definitely not enough time. the finish gets sucked into the spalt and thus slowing the process let it dry a couple days and try shellac or start building poly again.

Dennis Ford

Reaction score
First name
Dennis
Drying time for Minwax Wipe On Poly is very variable. Thin coats on a warm dry day will dry in two or three hours, the first coat in cool damp weather takes 2 - 3 days for me. It is dry enough when you can get dust when sanding between coats, re-coating before then will cause problems.

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems to be sucking in the poly as fast as I can but it on. Today's coat seemed to be getting glossier. I'll keep at it.