Firewood

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Ok I know what a birdeye maple is......but what is a Yooper?

Someone from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. UP'er. Yooper.

In contrast, those who are from the Lower Peninsula of Michigan are sometimes called Trolls. Because they live under the bridge. (The Mackinac Bridge, which spans the Straits of Mackinac and connects the two peninsulas.)

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Someone from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. UP'er. Yooper.

In contrast, those who are from the Lower Peninsula of Michigan are sometimes called Trolls. Because they live under the bridge. (The Mackinac Bridge, which spans the Straits of Mackinac and connects the two peninsulas.)

Dont forget if ya move from the lower to da upper you're a transplant eh!

Mlyle

Amateur Woodturner
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Hmmmm . Funny. yooper......

I have an aunt was from upper Michigan......pretty cold in Michigan at times......was cold in Wisconsin too. I lived in both
States.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
@Mr. Peet heres a piece that gets close to .5 in some spots but is thicker than that across the rest. Size is on piece. It shows eyes on one edge then fades out to almost curl but not quite. More like little tornados.

Second piece is I know what ya want for live edge and showing just "curl" but is only almost 2 wide so i dought it will work. If so ya can have it if not I still have a couple other pieces of birdseye I got elsewhere that might saw into something but I'm not sure.

20181017_173710.jpg

20181017_173822.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
@Mr. Peet heres a piece that gets close to .5 in some spots but is thicker than that across the rest. Size is on piece. It shows eyes on one edge then fades out to almost curl but not quite. More like little tornados.

Second piece is I know what ya want for live edge and showing just "curl" but is only almost 2 wide so i dought it will work. If so ya can have it if not I still have a couple other pieces of birdseye I got elsewhere that might saw into something but I'm not sure.

View attachment 154349

View attachment 154350

Cody, Yeah, I like that first piece but will pass on the second. A reminder, my samples finish at 3" x 6" x 1/2". I think Paul might want a few pictures of that first piece as well. Please set it aside for me. Yes, I would hope to purchase a second or third piece too. I would like a piece like the second one having live edge, but just over 3" wide. Thanks for remembering. Good night.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Cody, Yeah, I like that first piece but will pass on the second. A reminder, my samples finish at 3" x 6" x 1/2". I think Paul might want a few pictures of that first piece as well. Please set it aside for me. Yes, I would hope to purchase a second or third piece too. I would like a piece like the second one having live edge, but just over 3" wide. Thanks for remembering. Good night.

I figured it was what you were looking for just not right size. I'll set the other aside for ya.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Wish we got the sugar maples down here, makes for better firewood than silver maples. Still, I was harvesting some downed trees in a pile from a couple years ago, and one of the small maples (6-7” diam or so) had a root exposed and thoroughly washed from 3 yrs of rain with lots of burl prickly showing. Look forward to opening that one.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I wish I had room, and also access, to this tree before it was split....

I just got done cutting some of the last "firewood" pieces the other day and am more than pleased.

I have the contact info for rental of the same cabin... misewell just book a couple more weeks in the summer and talk to the locals more. Last summer when I was there was more of a fishing/relaxing to me with the wife.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I wish I had room, and also access, to this tree before it was split....

I just got done cutting some of the last "firewood" pieces the other day and am more than pleased.

I have the contact info for rental of the same cabin... misewell just book a couple more weeks in the summer and talk to the locals more. Last summer when I was there was more of a fishing/relaxing to me with the wife.

By chance, were you able to get a wider second piece cut like the 2" one you posted above. Having a 3" + width live edge sample like the one posted on Oct. 17th would be great. If they are both 13.75" long and partially seasoned, I think cutting them to 6.75" long and waxing the ends would do for shipping in a padded flat-rate envelope. I said wax, as Anchor Seal tends to bleed into the ends and discolor the wood a bit.

What do you think?

Bick

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Beautiful looking wood, firewood can reveal beautiful wood. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it rebecomes just firewood!

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
By chance, were you able to get a wider second piece cut like the 2" one you posted above. Having a 3" + width live edge sample like the one posted on Oct. 17th would be great. If they are both 13.75" long and partially seasoned, I think cutting them to 6.75" long and waxing the ends would do for shipping in a padded flat-rate envelope. I said wax, as Anchor Seal tends to bleed into the ends and discolor the wood a bit.

What do you think?

Didnt come across one like that small one. I still have the other set aside for you tho.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Didnt come across one like that small one. I still have the other set aside for you tho.

Well, how long is the small one (do you still have it)? Maybe I could rip off a sliver from the squared edge, glue the 2 factory edges and have the natural edge on both sides of the sample. Or if it would be a better teaching tool to have the squared edge, I'd simply half the length, rip one, glue the rip to make width and use the off fall for a casting pen blank?..?

What ya think?

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Well, how long is the small one (do you still have it)? Maybe I could rip off a sliver from the squared edge, glue the 2 factory edges and have the natural edge on both sides of the sample. Or if it would be a better teaching tool to have the squared edge, I'd simply half the length, rip one, glue the rip to make width and use the off fall for a casting pen blank?..?

What ya think?

I'll be out back soon (gotta snowblow) and I'll take some measurements for ya.