First DIY Carbide Cutting Tool

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I finally got some shop time this evening to work a bit more on my first DIY carbide tool.

I got the maple from @Chris S. here in VA and the steel off Amazon. I finished turning the handle up this evening and just have a bit more sanding to do, and then finish it.

The steel bar was much easier to cut than I expected, as was tapping the hole. I still want to clean it up a bit, but that shouldn't take too long.

Hopefully I can carve out time this weekend and finish it up so I can actually try turning with it. More pics to follow once I finish and assemble it all.

20181214_211237.jpg

20181214_224908.jpg

20181214_211038.jpg

Last edited:

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Looks nice Steve! If you plan to rough with it, make sure you have plenty of shank in the handle. A lot of stress in that first inch or two from ferrule, especially if roughing. If finishing mostly, not so big a deal.
Apologies if you know all this, just looking out after fellow WB’ers.:good2:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks @TimR !

I really don't know much as I'm just starting out on this journey. It's a 12" bar with 6.25" extending from the ferrule, so I'd hope that's more than sufficient. Time will tell though!

I finished it up last night, though I'll probably make some cosmetic improvements after I use it a bit. For example, there are a few nicks in the steel and a bit of epoxy that I'll clean up. But for now I'm looking forward to trying it on the lathe and see how it cuts compared to a traditional tool.

I would certainly appreciate any comments and recommendations on how to improve going forward.

Sorry about the glare on the pics....I was having a hard time getting the lighting right indoors with ceiling lights.

20181217_174258.jpg

20181217_174409.jpg

20181217_174510.jpg

20181217_174536.jpg

20181217_174558.jpg

Chris S.

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Steve that looks awesome. You did a great job. Calling you to make my next handle. That looks very nice. Cant wait to see what you make with it. Excellent job on the metal work too.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steve that looks awesome. You did a great job. Calling you to make my next handle. That looks very nice. Cant wait to see what you make with it. Excellent job on the metal work too.

Thanks Chris! At least you know your maple didn't end up sitting on a shelf for years!