First handgun

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
I know the answers to this question are going to be similar to "what lathe should I buy" but I would like to get recommendations for a first handgun. It is mostly for HD and I live in CA so keep that in mind, max 10 round capacity. I have been around guns most of my life and own a rifle and shotgun, but have never owned a handgun. I have talked to my dad who lives in TX and has a CCW permit as well as my son in law that lives in LA and is a big gun enthusiast. I also plan on going to a local shooting range and trying a few out, but I thought I would see what my WB friends have to suggest.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I’m a fan of these for HD. I think some states have very cloudy castle doctrine laws. It really lowers the bar for using force considering it’s non lethal.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Glock 42 with these loads...
380 Auto 90 gr XTP American Gunner

Great penetration and expansion for the 380 round. Glocks are very dependable and easy to disassemble for cleaning. But, you need to try different guns if possible. You may find something that works better for you. It's personal preference. I have a Ruger LCP 380 too but I love a Glock.

Last edited:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, based on my discussion with people I know and reviews, I am leaning toward the Glock 19. I am going to take advantage of a one hour training at a local gun range that includes 30 day use of the range and rental/use of 3-5 guns/ammo and targets, so I am anticipating that helps me make up my mind. I will also look at the 42, thanks for the recommendation Eric.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
G19 is a great compact gun and more stopping power. The g42 is a SMALL pistol. If you have big hands, it can be tough to use but can be done. I know you'd be happy with any Glock but try other brands too. A LOT of good ones out there. Also look at the G30. Its a compact in a 45 cal. That's my next one

wyowoodwrker

Reaction score
First name
nick
My EDC is a Ruger P89. Good balance and easy to control the recoil. Also have a P90 in my safe under the bed. Bonus is IF I can't manage to hit what I'm aiming for it's heavy enough to beat them into submission with lol.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
No love for the revolvers here?

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Oh yeah. S&W .357 for the wife. Asked her why she wanted it. Her reply, when I pull the trigger I want it to fire and not jam like some semis

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Glock 42 with these loads...
380 Auto 90 gr XTP American Gunner

Great penetration and expansion for the 380 round. Glocks are very dependable and easy to disassemble for cleaning. But, you need to try different guns if possible. You may find something that works better for you. It's personal preference. I have a Ruger LCP 380 too but I love a Glock.
This is what I have and EDC

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Welp, G42 is not an option. It is not on the CA compliant list. smh

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I couldn’t resist a cheap shot at california,MN isn’t any better our gov likes to sign executive orders when the attention is else where. Now In all seriousness,for home defense,imo,you can’t do better than the Taurus judge,or the s&w governer,shoots .410 self defense rounds and .45 long colt.

Last edited:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
I couldn’t resist a cheap shot at california,

No offense taken, I laughed. I watched a video last night that was giving good advice for first time handgun owners and one of the recommendations was getting to know the gun laws for the state you live in and any state that you might travel through with the gun. One statement that struck home to me was....."and the more you get to know the gun laws the madder you will get".....

I find a lot of truth in that statement.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
No love for the revolvers here?

That would be me, my home defense is my old black hawk.357 mag. Reliable easy to shoot . Because it is a old model with no transfer bar I only load 5 and keep it hammer down on the empty hole. If I can't hit them or scare em off with 5 rounds I'm probably screwed. Those 3 clicks when the hammer comes back would be enough to send me running.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
First, I am NOT an expert; but I play one in the following dialogue. But the guys responses above are spot on and please folks, comment on the below; this is an accumulation of knowledge from myself, many years, and great friends. But I do NOT shoot enough, stay read up on new guns, ammo, etc...…….and play with wood more than anything. But this subject is near and dear to my heart, so I wanted to provide my thoughts.

@Maverick , John, you ready for an incredible range of suggestions; i am going to give you both ends of the spectrum!!!! I like @Eric Rorabaugh suggestion as I have just gone to a .380 for concealed. Small enough to fit in my hip pocket with my shirt tail out. The new ammo is great and that is why it took me so long to accept it; I didn't believe it had the stopping power. Makes me feel good our law enforcement brother endorses it. I have 2 models; the glock for the wife, mine is the Sig 938 (think I got that number correct). Now that I have shot her glock, I recommend it; especially given the price.

Second suggestion: again, home defense minded: 45 ACP. Myself, I prefer the original 1911 styled gun. You can get an 8 round magazine and one in the chamber. And, like the Glock, it is totally safe "cocked and locked". Some folks freak out about that and if you are new to hand guns it is a learned level of security. Also, what kids are around......either way, they have to be safe. The .45 with a self-defense hollow-point will not, most likely, go through a wall!!! You don't want to be killing your innocent neighbor. The .45 has the stopping power even though it is not high velocity. It does have this anvil for a bullet though. And in a full sized frame, it has manageable recoil. Recoil is not bad; it just has to be understood.

I think the best thing you are doing is going to the range where you have those options!!!! Wow, that is great!!! The gun range I belong to has the same deal; come in and rent 3 or 5 for an hour and blast away. what a great way to get the feel for a gun. And, go back and repeat with the one you think you liked, but if you shot it first and not last, change the order.

one last thing: combining the 2. I was at our range a few years ago with some friends for a going away event for one of the guys. And we did the rent and shoot thing with a bunch of guns. I ended up buying the new (at the time) subcompact Springfield Arms .45 ACP. This is a small gun, not as small as the Glock or Sig mentioned above, but small. And it has manageable recoil...….it shoots great and I love making half inch holes in targets!!! If I had not shot that one at the range, i would have never even considered it!!!!

So, definitely more than .02 worth, but don't take it to the bank!!!

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Thanks everyone for your input and advice. To bring everyone up to speed, I went with the G19. It felt the best in my hands and I had good grouping in and around the center of the target with it. The down side, they are pretty scarce around here so I had to order it and wait for it to come in. Who knows how long that might be. Definitely late to the party.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I'm not sure how far behind in orders Glock is, but I know Mossberg is sold out of stock till 2021!