First handgun

frankp

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Frank
Mark me as a second vote for anything shooting a shotgun round. Home defense, by definition, means Loved ones are nearby. I don't want to be shooting through walls, personally. The only handgun I've shot that does that is the judge but I found the grip a little small for my preference. If you have hands that aren't really wide, it might be okay.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Congrats on your purchase. I'm late to the conversation, but would add a couple thoughts in general. If strictly for HD, i.e no plans to carry, a full size with capability of having a threaded barrel and suppressor will make any need to fire indoors less likely to deafen you in the process.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
One of these will pretty much stop anything.
Isn't this the one Dirty Harry used in all the Clint Eastwood movies? Big gun that weighs 3 lbs. Have you ever shot a 50 cal Desert Eagle? That truly is a hand cannon. A couple of guys next to me at the range had one and let me shoot it. Never again. That monster weighs 5 lbs unloaded.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I'm not sure how far behind in orders Glock is, but I know Mossberg is sold out of stock till 2021!
Record sales of handguns going on now. Everyone getting ready for the kiddies dressed in black and throwing temper tantrums and other things. None of that Portland and Seattle stuff will last long here.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
It’s harder than heck to find ammo around here,most of the online places I’ve found,so far,are out of 9mm.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep ammo is crazy hard to get. I bought 200 rounds from a private seller today so I would have some when my gun comes in.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
One word...RELOAD. Cheaper if you shoot a lot. Better accuracy for rifle loads if you wanna learn and take the time to do it right

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Thanks Eric, I might try that later, just not sure I am ready to go down that rabbit hole yet. I understand that reloading supplies are getting scarce as well.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
They are. It's fun but time consuming if you load for accuracy. Individually weighing each powder drop...etc

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I have a safe full of pistols, rifles and shotguns. They all belonged to my father-in-law and they mostly just stay in the safe. I’ve only purchased one gun. The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) received 8000 surplus .45 cal pistols and offered them for sale via a lottery system. They had 20k applications for the 8K pistols. If selected you had to take what was available and offered at that time relative to grade, etc. I was lucky enough to be offered a “field” grade (service, field and rack are the grades). It was a nostalgic purchase as it’s what I carried. I don’t really need it, but I keep telling myself I’ll use it for home defense (and not that .357 magnum that’s in the drawer).

This is a 1911 (not 1911a1) with a serial number dating it to manufacture in 1918 and subsequently being shipped for use in France during WWI. It has a Colt receiver and Colt slide. Many rebuilt pistols have a mix of manufacturer parts. The sticker indicates it came from the Army Museum System stocks. I feel lucky to have this piece of history.

So, technically, this is my first handgun.

4006DB08-07AE-4E19-AD32-A1CD29A4C398.jpeg

943AA371-B6C6-4C53-9121-6BCC82252841.jpeg

Last edited:

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
For a SD handgun, the common answer is the biggest caliber and frame you can comfortably carry safely. If you buy a system that is over $350 and use good name brand ammo, a semi auto will do just fine. Yes, there is a one in million chance you will have to clear a malfunction, but is that worth worrying about? The S&W M&P line is the bees knees. Since you are limited to 10 rounds the .45 is an excellent choice. The Springfield Hellcat is the same. The engineering is flawless and tames recoil very very well. You can't beat them for the price. Plus the still come standard with manual safeties. If you are going to spend the money on a glock or Sig I would get an FN: they are incredible machines, and it is essential a re-packaged Browning HI Power at half the cost. For a wheel gun, stick to 357. Charter Arms, S&W, EAA, even Taurus has fixed the quality issues of late: something with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. With a snub nose you trade too much power for not much more conceal-ability. SD ammo will run you around a buck a round. My personal favorite is Winchester Defender or Hornady FTX. Several companies offer balanced ammo now: the practice ammo feels like the defense ammo. A big plus because you should shoot 200 rounds to break the gun in and to familiarize yourself with it.
In a home situation magazine capacity in a pistol should be so that you can fight your way to a rifle. Despite what Hollyweird says handguns are not death rays. Most are underpowered for their purpose. Get a shotgun. I've seen in many places where #4 birdshot is still lethal to hoomans but should not go through two layers of drywall on the other side of a room.
Biggest thing is training. Know your systems inside and out and in your sleep. Since I don't get to shoot as much as I would like, instead of oil, I coat mine with white lithium spray.
Remember the 4 Rules, and take care of yourself.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Took about 8 weeks from purchase to pick up, but I now have my G19. Now to start trying to scrounge up some ammo. I have a little, but it won’t last long once I go to the range. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Thanks Eric, I truly appreciate the offer. I doubt I will start right now but if I do I will keep that in mind.

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Took about 8 weeks from purchase to pick up, but I now have my G19. Now to start trying to scrounge up some ammo. I have a little, but it won’t last long once I go to the range. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Congratulations on your choice. I hope you enjoy it.