First knife

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I’m looking into finishing out one of the Zhen kitchen knives woodcraft has on sale this month. Any opinions on quality of these? Also I prefer to pin the handle but uncertain as to the proper bit to use for 1/4” pins. Should I drill 1/4” then use a reamer or drill with 9/32” bit, etc? Any help is appreciated.

Woodcraft Zhen

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Bryson,
I'm sure there's people on here with much more experience than I. But when I built a set of steak knives, I drilled holes that matched the pin diameter (you can always drill a test hole to see how snug the fit will be). You'll be gluing the scales and pins in with epoxy so you just want the pin to slide smoothly into the hole. I make a very small countersink on each scale. Then, after gluing in the scales and pins, and cutting the pins so the end protrudes a 32nd inch from the scale, I used a small ball peen hammer to gently (the key word here is gently) peen the end of each pin on both sides of the handle. You want to just create a tiny flare on the end of each pin that sets into that small countersink you drilled. I guess this method only applies to solid brass pins, not the fancy mosaic pins. That prevents the pins from loosening with age (at least that's what the tutorials I watched said). You want a sharp bit to reduce the chance of tear out or chipping in your scales.

I have not used any of the Woodcraft knife blanks but am interested in your appraisal. I want to make a couple kitchen knives for Christmas presents this year.

Last edited:

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bryson,
I'm sure there's people on here with much more experience than I. But when I built a set of steak knives, I drilled holes that matched the pin diameter (you can always drill a test hole to see how snug the fit will be). You'll be gluing the scales and pins in with epoxy so you just want the pin to slide smoothly into the hole. I make a very small countersink on each scale. Then, after gluing in the scales and pins, and cutting the pins so the end protrudes a 32nd inch from the scale, I used a small ball peen hammer to gently (the key word here is gently) peen the end of each pin on both sides of the handle. You want to just create a tiny flare on the end of each pin that sets into that small countersink you drilled. I guess this method only applies to solid brass pins, not the fancy mosaic pins. That prevents the pins from loosening with age (at least that's what the tutorials I watched said). You want a sharp bit to reduce the chance of tear out or chipping in your scales.

I have not used any of the Woodcraft knife blanks but am interested in your appraisal. I want to make a couple kitchen knives for Christmas presents this year.
Really appreciate your input. I haven’t decided on mosaic versus solid copper pins yet. If I go with the copper, I’ll be sure to be gentle with the hammer. Something I’m not accustomed to. :cool:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Really appreciate your input. I haven’t decided on mosaic versus solid copper pins yet. If I go with the copper, I’ll be sure to be gentle with the hammer. Something I’m not accustomed to. :cool:
Won't copper pins turn green with patina? Might even stain your scales? Brass will dull and darken a little but at least it won't turn green. Just something to consider.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
If you use copper, or even brass it is a good idea to coat them with lacquer to keep the tarnishing to a minimum. And yes red brass will even patina enough to stain the handles on the older stuff. Especially if your wife thinks the cleaver needs to be run through the dishwasher.

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I’m thinking of using Tru Oil as the finish. Not sure how well it would hold up to being washed though. I will definitely be informing everyone it is NOT allowed in the dishwasher. I plan to use stabilized scales as well. I have heard of folks finishing with epoxy. Not sure how easy that would be to get an even coat over the handle though.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I’m thinking of using Tru Oil as the finish. Not sure how well it would hold up to being washed though. I will definitely be informing everyone it is NOT allowed in the dishwasher. I plan to use stabilized scales as well. I have heard of folks finishing with epoxy. Not sure how easy that would be to get an even coat over the handle though.
I used tru oil on olivewood handled Knife. finish worked great-well until it went through dishwasher. I need to re-handle.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
If you are using stabilized scales, you should be able to sand and buff to a modest shine, wipe your tru-oil on and start using it. The stabilization will make the scales nearly impervious to water. (Should make it fully impervious but I am hesitant to tell someone that about a knife handle. That leads to visits through the dishwasher. "But honey, you said it was waterproof"

hokie

Reaction score
First name
Jeremy
I’m looking into finishing out one of the Zhen kitchen knives woodcraft has on sale this month. Any opinions on quality of these? Also I prefer to pin the handle but uncertain as to the proper bit to use for 1/4” pins. Should I drill 1/4” then use a reamer or drill with 9/32” bit, etc? Any help is appreciated.

Woodcraft Zhen
I assembled a set of those knives with stabilized maple burl as a gift. Unfortunately I forget the pin size I used. I'm pretty sure I just bought pin stock that matched the existing holes rather than reaming out anything bigger. I also finished with Tru Oil and from what I gather from the recipients, they are still holding up well several years later. I did warn them to wash with care and to never use the dishwasher.

IMG_1040.jpg

If you want to go *really* durable, you could go the route I did on this CA-coated paring knife stabilized maple burl handle (used a cheap AliExpress knife blank to play around with)...

IMG_2546.jpg

Feels like plastic in the hand, but it sure does make the wood shine! Haha

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I assembled a set of those knives with stabilized maple burl as a gift. Unfortunately I forget the pin size I used. I'm pretty sure I just bought pin stock that matched the existing holes rather than reaming out anything bigger. I also finished with Tru Oil and from what I gather from the recipients, they are still holding up well several years later. I did warn them to wash with care and to never use the dishwasher.

View attachment 226374

If you want to go *really* durable, you could go the route I did on this CA-coated paring knife stabilized maple burl handle (used a cheap AliExpress knife blank to play around with)...

View attachment 226378

Feels like plastic in the hand, but it sure does make the wood shine! Haha
Those look great. I considered CA, but I’ve never applied/finished with CA unless it was spinning on a lathe. I figured all the hand sanding/polishing would be very tedious.

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
If you are using stabilized scales, you should be able to sand and buff to a modest shine, wipe your tru-oil on and start using it. The stabilization will make the scales nearly impervious to water. (Should make it fully impervious but I am hesitant to tell someone that about a knife handle. That leads to visits through the dishwasher. "But honey, you said it was waterproof"
I’ll never mention “waterproof”. I’ll be sure to mention “hates water”.

hokie

Reaction score
First name
Jeremy
Those look great. I considered CA, but I’ve never applied/finished with CA unless it was spinning on a lathe. I figured all the hand sanding/polishing would be very tedious.
Ha, yeah, my only experience with CA was with pens and other small turned items as well. I actually didn't find it too difficult to apply! I did a few thin base layers, then medium the rest of the way. Sanding down ridges and high spots in-between layers with 220 or 320 grit. when everything is smooth and built up, I then go down the grits wetsanding to about 1000 or 1500. I finally use the polishing wheel I use for my pens for that high polish. Very satisfying!

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I went ahead and picked up a cheap harbor freight 1x30 belt sander. I’ll probably practice shaping some pine/maple scales to get the hang of it before actually using the nice stuff. I thought about ordering this set of belts/strops to use as well. I may be cheaper to order then individually, but I’ll do some checking around.
Belts

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
What is the best material to use for liner material? G10? Also best place to purchase knife making supplies (pins/liners/blades/etc). Thanks

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
What is the best material to use for liner material? G10? Also best place to purchase knife making supplies (pins/liners/blades/etc). Thanks
@Bear Custom Builds

The kitchen knife my son made my wife has a Padauk handle finished with 100% Tung Oil. Gets used and washed several times a day, every day. No issues at all. We do give it a light coat every so often. Usually when I'm oiling one of my carvings and have a good amount of extra oil on my hands, I just pick up the knife and rub it in.
I'm sure the CA would be very durable but I'd be concerned about it being a little slippery when wet.

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson

View attachment 226374
I assume the Tru Oil finished knives were just finished with a few coats of oil instead of building up several layers to a gloss finish? I ask because I’m pondering how it (along with a CA finish) would adhere to the pins and spine of the blade if I were to build up several layers. I buffed the stabilized ash handle and considered leaving it as is, but there’s a few small voids. I may just fill those small places, sand them down smooth and buff back out again.