First knife

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Congrats! Awesome knife and sheath! Not sure I've seen a wooden sheath like this before! Chuck
Thanks Chuck. They are a LOT of work. I still couldn’t seem to get all the tiny scratches buffed out of the pins.

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Thanks Chuck. They are a LOT of work. I still couldn’t seem to get all the tiny scratches buffed out of the pins.
Great job! I sometimes use a scotch brite sanding sleeve for a dremel, or a dremel abrasive brush - on the pins before buffing.

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
Great job! I sometimes use a scotch brite sanding sleeve for a dremel, or a dremel abrasive brush - on the pins before buffing.
I used stainless pins and, at times, thought I was dealing with tungsten. They are tough. I was eroding the scales around the pins as I was trying to take them down with the belt sander, and the belt would flex, so I broke out the diamond burrs for the dremel. They worked to take the pins down but left deep scratches. After that, I belt sanded again with progressive grits and hand sanded through progressive grits. Buffed with black, white and green compounds with no luck of getting them all out. I’ll give the scotch brite a try next time. Thanks. And maybe avoid the diamond burrs as well…I think that was my problem. Just gotta figure out how to flush the pins without eating into the wood around them.

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
I used stainless pins and, at times, thought I was dealing with tungsten. They are tough. I was eroding the scales around the pins as I was trying to take them down with the belt sander, and the belt would flex, so I broke out the diamond burrs for the dremel. They worked to take the pins down but left deep scratches. After that, I belt sanded again with progressive grits and hand sanded through progressive grits. Buffed with black, white and green compounds with no luck of getting them all out. I’ll give the scotch brite a try next time. Thanks. And maybe avoid the diamond burrs as well…I think that was my problem. Just gotta figure out how to flush the pins without eating into the wood around them.
Yup! That's always the issue. I did titanium pins one time - never again!

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
Yup! That's always the issue. I did titanium pins one time - never again!
Yeah I don’t even want to think about titanium. Are aluminum pins ever used? Or are they too soft? Wanted to use copper, but I’ve heard the patina that forms on it can be toxic. I figured it wasn’t the best idea when used around acidic foods.