first work since joining Wood Barter

Jay B. Turnin

Reaction score
First name
jay
Thank you all for the support and encouragement since joining WB. I have to go visit my Aunt Honey in Philadelphia this coming weekend who was recently hospitalized so I made her this piece out of Honey Locust, hope she likes it.

honey2.jpg

honey6.jpg

honey5.jpg

honey1.jpg

honey3.jpg

honey4.jpg

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I think she'll like it. Looking at that piece of wood you started with, I wouldn't have thought something that gorgeous could have come from it. Good job.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Jay B. Turnin

Reaction score
First name
jay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think she'll like it. Looking at that piece of wood you started with, I wouldn't have thought something that gorgeous could have come from it. Good job.............. Jerry (in Tucson)
its funny you say that because i only turned it because of its name. I probably never would have turned it just from looking at it but am sure glad that i did.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Very nice looking bowl. She will love it. The way the grain lays make it really pop.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That's very cool, I'm sure she will be thrilled! Love the way the grain centers on it, awesome piece!

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Beautiful! I too love the grain of locus. Curious, though, how was the blank cut from the log?

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nicely done! Love the shape and the shimmer!

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
That's a very good question because this looks nothing like any of the (three pieces) Honey Locust I've turned.
View attachment 177817

I agree about possibly not being HL, but more like Black Locust that I've seen. I'm not up on terminology so maybe HL and BL are one and the same. And you actually have the piece in hand, so I could be wrong.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I agree about possibly not being HL, but more like Black Locust that I've seen. I'm not up on terminology so maybe HL and BL are one and the same. And you actually have the piece in hand, so I could be wrong.
I have some BL at home, I'll have to take a look at it.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Black locust is Robinia pseudoacacia and honey locust is Gleditsia triacanthos. They are both in the Fabaceae (pea) family.

From pictures I've seen on line and what I've cut locally, there seems to be a wide color variation in honey locust, while the black locust I've cut has a fairly uniform yellow color.

If you want a treat, shine a black light on your locust wood.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Nice turn!!
The ring pattern is suggestive of a cookie cut but that's NOT.
The way I get patterning like that is to orient the bowl blank so what would've been the outside of the tree is the "top" of the bowl.
Usually that part (bark side) becomes the bottom due to the shape of the blank.